Orioles have agreed to terms, pending physical, with INF Wilson Betemit

Greg

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Loved the signing when it was a 1 year deal. Not so hot on it as a 2 year deal. It's whatever though, he's a good hitter who can get on base. I'm a little concerned about how awful he was when he was with the Yankees 4 years ago, but I'll reserve judgement until 3 seconds into his first AB in the spring.

Yep. That's a huge difference. Stupid.*

*Disclaimer being: the cash matters. But I just don't see the need for a multi-year deal for a marginal talent like Betemit.

I'm fine with it as long as it's a 3/1.5 deal. Ok, ok, I could go as high as 3/2.

I don't know about a two-year deal, but at first glance I like the signing. He's likely a better DH option than Damon, and he can play first or third so if Davis doesn't develop or Reynolds struggles with his fielding again he can slide into either spot. He's basically a 20-homer guy over a full season, so he'll pop a few up on the flag court and we'll cheer him like we cheered Aubrey Huff for a little while.

2006 is his only major league season where he even approached playing a full season. He hasn't played even 100 games in a season since 2007. Jermaine Dye has played more major league games than Betemit in the last four years, and Dye retired two years ago!

I could pretend to care, but I really don't see the point.

This is all a carefully planned setup for the "Switcheroo Tuesday" promotion where all Oriole home games on Tuesdays feature an infield of Davis, Andino, Betemit, and Reynolds, with Buck picking their position out of a hat between each inning. Andino's the shortstop, no it's Davis, no it's Betemit! Valentine and Girardi will throw their hands up and forfeit!

I am guessing Rapada gets DFA'd to make room for Betemit. After Rapada clears waivers he signs a minor league contract with the O's.

In ST I would think they will try Betemit at 1B and LF. He would be the third option behind Reynolds and Antonelli at 3B so he will not play there much. I could see him getting starts at 1B if Davis struggles. I could see him as a alternative to Reimold in LF if he Reimold struggles. Chavez is the defensive replacement for Reimold but Betemit might be the offensive backup with Miller being DFA'd to AAA. That leaves an open spot to keep Flaherty if he shows anything in ST. At lot depends on how Nick heals. Betemit is now 220 pounds and we probably will not see much of him in the middle infield. Betemit could play half time at DH. He should be a good PH off the bench.

Obvious pure speculation but if the team is not going with a 5 man bench (That's what I'm assuming), and Andino was rumored earlier in the year to be in high demand, then I see Andino possibly being included to Atlanta as part of a Jones package to get those prospects we want. The braves could use Andino at SS and the O's get back those stout pitching prospects.

Doubtful, we'll still need a backup SS

Not a bad signing. Im not a big fan of the 2nd or 3rd option year, but maybe he puts up nice numbers in the first half of the season and we flip him for a decent prospect.

I think the days of flipping guys like that for prospects are pretty much over with...

We should probably start guessing at the contract now. That way when the real terms come out we don't all want to stab each other.

My guess: 2 years 5million per. Team option for 3rd year. (aka Kevin Gregg contract)

Over his entire career he's been worth 3.7 wins. That's over 1949 plate appearances. Over two years you'd expect him to get about 500 PAs given his history. Per 500 PAs he's been worth about one win. So... a reasonable deal for him would be something like two years at $2.5M per.

Over his entire career he's been worth 3.7 wins. That's over 1949 plate appearances. Over two years you'd expect him to get about 500 PAs given his history. Per 500 PAs he's been worth about one win. So... a reasonable deal for him would be something like two years at $2.5M per.

So you're saying we probably gave him at least 2/10

Basically, Wilson Betemit today is what Ty Wigginton was when we acquired him for 2 yrs, $6 mm.

Wigginton pre-2009: .270/.330/.460

Betemit though 2011: .269/.336/.448

Both play a lot of positions, but aren't really good defensively at any of them.

Let's hope Betemit's numbers hold up better than Wigginton's did (.258/.313/.409 as an Oriole). Wiggy had 1,085 PA as an Oriole. I'd be hoping Betemit is more in the 600-800 PA range.

Archived