Orioles have agreed to terms, pending physical, with INF Wilson Betemit

Greg

From Britt earlier

He has rebounded from a terrible season in Chicago by spending the last two years with Kansas City and Detroit, hitting a combined.290 with a .838 OPS. Betemit is primarily a corner infielder, but could play the outfield if needed. Is he a big, powerful DH? No. But he’s not a past his prime veteran (such as Johnny Damon or Manny Ramirez) , and the 30-year-old Betemit has a career .817 OPS against right-handed pitching.

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok, so he is the back up CIer/DH guy.

That leaves this as the IF, with the assumption of no BRob:

1st- Davis

2nd- Andino

SS- Hardy

3rd- Reynolds

DH- Betemit..also back up CIer

Flaherty has to stay on roster unless a trade is made.

Antonelli has the most upside.

Chavez is on the team for sure.

TT is on the bench for sure.

So, the way it appears is that one of Flaherty, Miller and Antonelli are on the team and the others are released, sent to AAA or rewarded back to their club(in the case of Flaherty).

The O's preferred to go with multiple DH's rather than risking 7-8 M on Scott. Money better spent on SP IMO. I'd prefer Betemit and EJax to Luke.

I can get on board with this if this is what happens. I am all for shaking things up and like many here I am thinking this could be the start of a busy couple of weeks. But honestly I just am not going to get excited that Betemit will be our starting DH.

Please, please let this start a chain reaction of some bigger moves.

1st- Davis

2nd- Andino

SS- Hardy

3rd- Reynolds

So, the way it appears is that one of Flaherty, Miller and Antonelli are on the team and the others are released, sent to AAA or rewarded back to their club(in the case of Flaherty).

No, two of Flaherty, Miller and Antonelli are on the team, and one is released. Most likely Antonelli is the UTIF if Andino is 2B. Flaherty and Miller compete for the last spot on the bench.

Considering Betemit's career splits, I think he's best used as a DH against RHP, getting 300-400 PAs. Reynolds or the best RH bench bat can slide into the DH slot against lefties. That would justify a 1/3ish deal for Betemit. But there's a logjam on the bench. 2/3 guys will be cut and/or traded before Opening Day even if nothing else is done to the roster.

I can get on board with this if this is what happens. I am all for shaking things up and like many here I am thinking this could be the start of a busy couple of weeks. But honestly I just am not going to get excited that Betemit will be our starting DH.

Please, please let this start a chain reaction of some bigger moves.

Buck keeps saying he wants flexibility at DH but people keep thinking we need one primary DH. All of Reynolds, Reimold, Betemit, Davis, and Weiters are going to see time at DH.

1st- Davis

2nd- Andino

SS- Hardy

3rd- Reynolds

Brian Roberts starts the season on the sixty day disabled list.

Archived