What would save this offseason?

MrOrange82

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think any of the following would "give me more hope" and some of these moves would, in fact, "save the offseason":

Trade Jones for legitimate prospects (not the likes of JJ and Prado)

Trade Guthrie for at least one legitimate prospect

Sign Cespedes (not going to happen)

Sign Soler

Sign Jackson (to a reasonable deal--not 5 years)

Perhaps a Reynolds trade, but that's lower on my list (likely because I don't think he'd get a return worth trading him for)

Can't think of anything else at the moment.

I like this one!!

We're actually going into a real 162 Major League season in the American League East with Mark Reynolds and Chris Davis as everyday position players, and probably batting in the middle of the lineup. We have no lead-off hitter. 2 of the 5 pitchers that will more than likely comprise our starting rotation have exactly 0.0 innings pitched at the Major League level. Jones and Markakis have even less protection than they did last year. Pretty much the rest of the American League got better.

I could think of more reasons but I'd rather watch Married With Children.

You'd rather have Vlad and DLee in the middle of the order? What pitchers did we lose this year that were around on last year's 69 win squad? Sure, this team won't be very good next year, but I think it's a bit much to declare that missing 100 losses would be a miracle.

We're actually going into a real 162 game Major League season in the American League East with Mark Reynolds and Chris Davis as everyday position players, and probably batting in the middle of the lineup. We have no lead-off hitter. 2 of the 5 pitchers that will more than likely comprise our starting rotation have exactly 0.0 innings pitched at the Major League level. Jones and Markakis have even less protection than they did last year. Pretty much the rest of the American League got better.

I could think of more reasons but I'd rather watch Married With Children.

I'd rather you watch Married with Children as well. That attitude is grossly uninspiring and while I can't blame you for being down on the offseason I can say that you have taken the route of negativity to an outrageous level. Have fun with that.

I'd rather you watch Married with Children as well. That attitude is grossly uninspiring and while I can't blame you for being down on the offseason I can say that you have taken the route of negativity to an outrageous level. Have fun with that.

OP asked for opinions. Cynicism is perfectly justifiable.

I hope you are right and I know many believe this, but how do you know these are quality moves and will result in anything meaningful? AM made moves too, most GM's do. I know for a fact previous GM candidates passed on our opportunity because of control issues, what makes you think DD really has the power to make the changes he wants? What makes you think the changes we are doing are his first choice? We don't. That is the sad state of affairs that is the Baltimore Orioles.

Sorry, not attacking you, just conte

1st I have read what I could find about the hires that DD has done so far. A lot of people on here have been slamming him for hiring, as one post said, the geriatric crew. I am a Master Carpenter. It has taken me decades to earn that title. I believe a lot of the older folk that DD has brought in has the background to build a winning infra-structure.

Everyone always gripes about the Stockstills. Looking at the organization power structure now they appear to have been sidestepped with DD's people over them. Andy talked a lot about building up our MiL but I saw very little action. As an example, why in the hell has it been years since we had a MiL hitting co-ordinator. 2009 per the report on Roch's blog. That is inexcusable. What I see DD doing in areas such as pitching development with the hiring of Rick Peterson and Chris Correnti, Brady Anderson to get a unified organizational fitness approach, Mike Bollanger as MiL hitting co-ordinator. These are the things that are IMPORTANT!

The list goes on. 2 national cross checkers now with Danny Haas added. Lee Thomas, Gary Rajsich, Stephen Walters, and more that I am forgetting.

Giving an insane contract to the FA flavor of the month is not going to fix this organization no matter how badly we want it. Fixing the foundation will.

DD, unlike some of our recent GM's is doing just that. He is bringing in people who have the experience building winning organizations to help right this Titanic sized shipwreck we call the Orioles Organization. For the 1st time in years I actually have some hope for the Orioles.

One of these would make me happy, but ideally two or more:

1. Acquire Blanks

2. Trade Jones for prospects, preferably to Atlanta for some of their young arms.

3. Trade Guthrie

4. Trade Johnson

Extra Credit:

5. Trade for Koji

You'd rather have Vlad and DLee in the middle of the order? What pitchers did we lose this year that were around on last year's 69 win squad? Sure, this team won't be very good next year, but I think it's a bit much to declare that missing 100 losses would be a miracle.

Over Chris Davis and Mark Reynolds both batting under .250, striking out 200 times, and playing sub-par defense? Yeah, I probably would rather have Lee and Vlad, or another similar pair of washed up star players.

The pitching isn't really any better than it was last year, and the offense is going to be much worse. And we're going to be playing against teams that got better: the Yankees, Angels, Rangers, Tigers, Blue Jays, etc. In fact, the only teams that I can think of that got noticably worse are the Athletics and the White Sox.

And the Baltimore Orioles.

Over Chris Davis and Mark Reynolds both batting under .250, striking out 200 times, and playing sub-par defense? Yeah, I probably would rather have Lee and Vlad, or another similar pair of washed up star players.

The pitching isn't really any better than it was last year, and the offense is going to be much worse. And we're going to be playing against teams that got better: the Yankees, Angels, Rangers, Tigers, Blue Jays, etc. In fact, the only teams that I can think of that got noticably worse are the Athletics and the White Sox.

And the Baltimore Orioles.

Could you explain to me how the offense is going to be MUCH worse. Not flaming, just curious as I don't see it.

Negative? Yes. An outrageous level? Not really. The team is laughably bad, getting worse, and another full-scale blow-up/rebuilding is probably going to be necessary before it even sniffs .500.

Archived