Roch: O's and Nick Johnson closing in on minor league deal (O's sign Johnson)

ChaosLex

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I know you werent talking to me, but I don't see why we pick up guys like this all the time? Is he expected to make a contribution to the major league group?

Who knows? It's a long freaking season and anything could happen.

I'm still trying to figure out when Johnson EVER had anything in the tank. "Just one major league hitter Dan, just one":rolleyes:

No reason to get upset I guess. The guy will probably break a finger signing the contract.

Hell, he had a pretty great 2006...

How is signing someone to a minor league deal a bad move? If anything it's a neutral move. What is the downside, really?

Because even if he plays in AAA, he will likely miss half the season with a hangnail or something similar. This guy is the modern day Mr Glass

March 11, 2011 article:

There are five main tendon's in the wrist. Dr. Graham told Johnson he can still swing the bat effectively with four.
"He took the tendon out and hopefully there's no more pain in the wrist," said Johnson.

http://www.cleveland.com/tribe/index.ssf/2011/03/nick_johnson_right_wrist_in_ca.html

Solid minor league signing.

He clogs up the AAA roster while hitting .200 or is on the DL for 75% of the season

Who is he blocking? This is the lowest risk the team can take. What does it matter if he's injured? He's not taking up a roster spot and he isn't costing any meaningful amount of money.

Who is he blocking?/QUOTE] If both Johnson and Larish are kept at AAA, it could keep Mahoney down at Bowie. I'm don't know if that matters much as far as Mahoney's development, but I think it was widely assumed that he'd start off at Norfolk.

No reason to get upset I guess. The guy will probably break a finger signing the contract.
The guy will probably break a finger signing the contract. And just when I thought things couldn't get any worse.

I think you could try a little harder. At least change a couple words.

Anyway, this is a low-risk signing, and there's possibly no reward, but it costs basically nothing. I wish we could sign big name free agents too but it doesn't have to be one or the other.

Archived