Orioles scouts are now banned from Korean baseball stadiums

baseballwaco123

I think you might want to check the record book before you make that statement.

I'm well aware of the record book. The Yanks have made the playoffs about as often in the last 20 years as they did in the 1945-65 period. But now that's obscured by the fact that they have to get through multiple rounds of playoffs just to get to the World Series.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply
FWIW, Law says the KBO's beef is legit. As for the O's, he says "they blew it."

Of course he does, and he is probably right.

If this kid pans out and makes an impact at the ML level then it will have been worth it since I find it very unlikely the O's would have been allowed to sign him if they had gone through all the proper channels.

If the kid is topping out at 84 this summer then they are move of a laughing stock then usual.

So did Duquette do this signing as a joke or not? It sounds like not many outside the Orioles are high on this 17 year old.

The problem is, all of those other people might be using the same source.

I guarantee you, for instance, that KLaw has never seen the kid pitch. So lets say KLaw gets an iffy report on the kid, he embellishes it a bit since he is still pissed at DD reassigning the scouts. Now the information is out there from a name guy and other outlets pick it up.

I am very eager to see this kid pitch.

I took a look at the rules regarding MLB clubs signing Korean players, specifically, section 4. It notes that if a Korean player has played for a Korean club the MLB team has to contact a certain Korean official if the American club wants to engage in talks with the Korean player. What I'm unsure about is if that if that includes high school teams in Korea, Korean national teams, as well as the professional teams? I assume from the kerfuffle that the Korean assessment of the rules is that it includes any baseball team, regardless of status of that team.

I'd love to see a fast motion video of Korean security guards chasing Orioles scouts around one of their baseball stadiums with Yakety Sax playing in the background.

I made the mistake of opening and reading this thread while teaching this morning... then laughing out loud and then clearing my throat as all of my students looked up at me with puzzled expressions.

1. KBO's beef is legit.

2. The Koreans need to save face so the Orioles are banned.

3. Business needs to get done, so fences are mended once the furor dies down.

The Orioles' front office gets in trouble for being too aggressive. How utterly and thoroughly refreshing!

So we got black listed by an entire country because we grabbed up a guy who can't even play baseball? Insanity, only the Orioles could pull something like this off.

Then why are they so upset? If the O's signed a 60 year old farmer, would we be banned for that as well?

Archived