What if Duquette's plan for 2012....works?

Frobby

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Bump....I didn't realize you meant that Antonelli would be hitting for a .350 OPS at Norfolk. ;)
The year is not over. Hardy is injury prone. Flaherty seem to be able to hit but I wonder how instead he is with the glove. Will Andino break a 700 OPS this year? We probably will see Antonelli before it all over.

After I saw how much Buck liked Flaherty I also said the Flaherty may be this year Andino a far as being Buck's project.

Yeah, I was just reaching back to give you a little grief. If I were a betting man, I'd bet Antonelli will be on the roster at some point this year when someone gets hurt. However, if BRob does return to the team, it may be tougher to find a spot for Antonelli.

No, that was more of a sketch image of the bird. They went with a "realistic looking bird" in 1998. But yeah, they changed the cartoon bird to the regular bird in '89.

Memory is not always correct, but I distinctly remember first hearing the phrase "ornithologically correct" in reference to the new caps in 1989.

I don't know about you, but to me this looks like a pretty fair representation of a Baltimore Oriole:

1990_Topps_All-Star_Glossy.jpg

No, that was more of a sketch image of the bird. They went with a "realistic looking bird" in 1998. But yeah, they changed the cartoon bird to the regular bird in '89.

The change they made in '98, IIRC, was the bird was turned slightly on the cap. So it was a locked in side view, it was kind of like looking at the bird from a slight angle.

Drungo's dead on, 1989 was definitely the ornithologically correct bird. From there, they messed with a pinch once or twice.

If this team wins this year it means we probably should not have gotten rid of McPhail.

With the slight change that MacPhail elected to leave, I think this is the obvious answer. I'm curious to see what is discussed further in this multi-page thread.

Memory is not always correct, but I distinctly remember first hearing the phrase "ornithologically correct" in reference to the new caps in 1989.

I don't know about you, but to me this looks like a pretty fair representation of a Baltimore Oriole:

1990_Topps_All-Star_Glossy.jpg

The change they made in '98, IIRC, was the bird was turned slightly on the cap. So it was a locked in side view, it was kind of like looking at the bird from a slight angle.

Drungo's dead on, 1989 was definitely the ornithologically correct bird. From there, they messed with a pinch once or twice.

1989-1997:

JmWMN.gif

1998:

zmexO.gif

1999-2008:

PVG5X.gif

2009-2011:

bQkxH.gif

Courtesy of sportslogos.net

The only way this team finishes above 500 if the players that were here before DD arrived really had good seasons.

I don't even know what DD's plan is right now based on player acquisitions for this year, so I can't even answer this question.

Exactly. If the team plays .500 ball this season it is DD's goal being met, it would not be his "plan working."

Edit: oh, this thread is about birds now.

With the slight change that MacPhail elected to leave, I think this is the obvious answer. I'm curious to see what is discussed further in this multi-page thread.

I don't understand this. Do you believe we should have stayed with Macphail? Do you not think that the culture is different since he left?

The O's can only compete in the AL East by developing most of it's talent from within. DD's plan was to improve scouting and player development in order to achieve this, while adding players to the ML roster who would help the ML cub to improve in the win collumn while staying within the owners budget restrictions. Not a part of his plan were blockbuster trades as part of a massive rebuild, or big ticket FA signings as part of a win now at all costs, apporoach. He obviously wants to see how good the core talent is before he decides which direction to persue. Seems prudent to me. The trade deadline will be a strong indicator, because if he chooses to extend Jones and hang on to Hardy, he thinks we can win while we have Wieters. If he trades Jones and Hardy, then he doesn't, Wieters will be shopped in the fall, and we are rebuilding.

I don't understand this. Do you believe we should have stayed with Macphail? Do you not think that the culture is different since he left?

I don't know. I certainly wouldn't go so far as to assume that 1) if there have been changes in culture, that it is solely the result of a change up top, and 2) that improvements between last year and this year are solely the result of a change up top.

1998 is atrocious.

I'm still not convinced they didn't mistakenly draw a robin

am_robin_jfk03.jpg

It's actually done based on the original bird logo--not sure what years exactly, but definitely 1961 and thereabouts:

A few things:

1. AM was not a bad GM, but he did a horrible job with depth. I do like what DD has done there (the positive).

2. I am not even sure what "our plan" is. That is the problem. Regardless, it definitely isn't a good plan. Maybe for a AAA team.

3. What happens if Buck leaves? Just saying. All progress we have made will be out the window IMO. We will be stuck with DD.

4. Anyone a little nervous about the first year draft of our new scouting director with so many new faces? I would hope it would be a much improved approach, but just a little nervous with the unknown.

Archived