Big test for Matusz today

El Gordo

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd feel better if any of this (Matusz looking good, Wieters' growth over the last 18 months, Tillman showing flashes, Arrieta showing flashes, etc.) meant we could skip over the premature handwringing as relates to developing young players at the MLB level, but unfortunately I think that will always be a mainstay with fanbases.

I'd feel better if any of this (Matusz looking good, Wieters' growth over the last 18 months, Tillman showing flashes, Arrieta showing flashes, etc.) meant we could skip over the premature handwringing as relates to developing young players at the MLB level, but unfortunately I think that will always be a mainstay with fanbases.

When you continue to pick in the top 5 and you continue to have to endure 2 years of poor performance by said top 5 selections, it can be frustrating.

I'd hardly say we're out of the woods yet with Matusz, Tillman, Arrieta, and Britton, but if they blow up this year, we can be as good as anyone.

Especially since we have nothing else to hang our hopes on. If we had a good team with a few stars, it would be easier to be patient when the Next Big Hope was breaking in to the majors.

In any event, these last two starts by Matusz are extremely encouraging. The velocity is even better than I'd hoped, he's throwing strikes, and getting results. He's also getting his innings in without being pulled early due to pitch counts. All of that puts him on a good track to make the rotation.

Look like Matusz passed today's test with an A+! Anyone still think he's got a ticket to Norfolk because he has an option left?

I do.

But thats just me. He's been great so far this ST but he still has a couple more starts to go. It's going to take a lot more than a good spring to erase last year.

I do.

But thats just me. He's been great so far this ST but he still has a couple more starts to go. It's going to take a lot more than a good spring to erase last year.

Although last year was an unmitigated disaster for Matusz, an off season of hard work with Brady, improved velocity, and very good results so far are enough for me to give him his spot back in the rotation. He may still go through his dead arm period, but the results and the re-found velocity tells me we're back to the pre-2011 Matusz. There's little reason to send him back to the minors if he's pitching like this. He was not facing some AAAA guys. He went against one of the best lineups and baseball and dominated them.

Especially since we have nothing else to hang our hopes on. If we had a good team with a few stars, it would be easier to be patient when the Next Big Hope was breaking in to the majors.

In any event, these last two starts by Matusz are extremely encouraging. The velocity is even better than I'd hoped, he's throwing strikes, and getting results. He's also getting his innings in without being pulled early due to pitch counts. All of that puts him on a good track to make the rotation.

I agree. I think it's reasonable to have concerns about Matusz as a result of his 2011, but I don't think it was ever likely that his base talent level was anything close to last year. He was such a different pitcher than he's ever been in his life that it was blatantly obvious that there were factors outside of his ability that were driving performance.

Like you, I believe his performances thus far this spring should be putting him in a good position to make the rotation. I still believe he's the best arm in the system, and probably has the most upside of anyone not named Bundy.

I agree. I think it's reasonable to have concerns about Matusz as a result of his 2011, but I don't think it was ever likely that his base talent level was anything close to last year. He was such a different pitcher than he's ever been in his life that it was blatantly obvious that there were factors outside of his ability that were driving performance.

Like you, I believe his performances thus far this spring should be putting him in a good position to make the rotation. I still believe he's the best arm in the system, and probably has the most upside of anyone not named Bundy.

Agreed. I mean, I know it's hard to remain objective, and I know it's hard to remind oneself to continue to provide context to what's going on, but between the "head-case" stuff and the "historically-bad" comps...the discussions just fell out-of-kilter.

Not guaranteeing a spectacular 2012, by any means. Here's my historical take:

I think it would be nuts NOT [edit, sorry] to worry about Brian Matusz. I think, however, that this use of comps puts the cart before the horse. Unless Matusz has permanently regressed to a Josh Towers-like talent level, these comps are largely irrelevant, no? So the worry should come down to: is this an anomaly or a trend we're seeing in Matusz? If it's the former, these comps are irrelevant. If it's the latter, then it could be the end.

The catastrophic thinking around here, however, which seems to assume the worst is bound to find a sense of empirical certainty in the above numbers that really isn't there. To me, at least.

I actually agree with this. I just think (and this is completely based on intuition and what I've watched and nothing more) that the command issues are correctable with conditioning. I think the intercostal issues loom larger than we know. Again, just a hunch. Don't expect folks to agree.
I think Matusz puts up at least 150 IP of sub-4.50 ERA next year.

Archived