Big day for Wada

Frobby

I think you're right. And, I don't see room for Patton if Wada and Eveland make the team. That would mean the last man standing from the Miggy to Houston trade would be gone (although if we can swing a trade, we'd have whoever returns).

Was AM a good trader after all? Probably nothing remaining from that trade. Only Jones has made a major league impact from the Bedard trade. Those were the two biggest trades during his tenure and don't seem quite as good now as they did at the time. Now the Koji for Hunter and Davis and the JJ Hardy trades look pretty awesome, I must say. Flat Breezy for Bell and Steve Johnson, not so hot. More of a mixed bag than I might have thought earlier on.

This is off subject of course, but at the end of the day, although MacPhail made some good trades, trades that could be considered a win for what he gave up and got in return, at the end of the day non of his trades changed the fortunes of the Orioles.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'd say right now the odds that he'll be in the rotation are maybe 10%. A good outing of 4+ innings today moves his odds up to 25%. Then he'd need a pretty bad outing from Matusz and another good outing for himself, 5+ innings, to make it a 50/50 proposition. So, I wouldn't say it is impossible, just not that likely.

2 IP, 4 H, 4 ER, 2 BB so far. I think his odds just went down to zero.

Adjusting to a new league and trying to get over elbow trouble, it's got to be tough. Can they start this guy in Norfolk?
Yes.

Letters.

I think Weams said that the contracts that Wada and Chen signed allow them to decline assignment to the minors.

If I am mistaken I apologize.

I think Weams said that the contracts that Wada and Chen signed allow them to decline assignment to the minors.

If I am mistaken I apologize.

Yes, but would Wada turn it down, if presented with a choice between going to the bullpen in Baltimore or building up innings in Norfolk with a promise that he'll be the first guy called up if he is doing well?

Yes, but would Wada turn it down, if presented with a choice between going to the bullpen in Baltimore or building up innings in Norfolk with a promise that he'll be the first guy called up if he is doing well?

Absolutely no way to tell.

If it was me, and I was healthy, I would refuse.

Adjusting to a new league and trying to get over elbow trouble, it's got to be tough. Can they start this guy in Norfolk?

I don't quite know why I feel this way but I'll be very, very pleasantly surprised if either Chen or Wada become effective ML pitchers. I don't expect much from either. My crystal ball says adjustments, injuries and stamina will be major issues throughout the year.

No way to know. Different guys would react to that question differently.

Another option is have him say his arm is still sore, put him on the 15-day DL and let him hang out, er I mean rehab, in Sarasota for a little while longer. That might just be kicking the can but if he's still adjusting to the ball, the mound, whatever, it may be beneficial.

I agreed with this earlier, but I'm flip flopping and I actually disagree. There's too much time for him to spin 2 gems and for Matusz to fall apart in his last 2 starts. It could absolutely happen, but I sure hope not.

How do you figure they each have two starts? The last Grapefruit League game is Sunday. Matusz should go Friday, and Wada could go again in the finale. You could squeeze in another game for Matusz against the Tides on April 3, but there's no assurance that happens, and in any event I don't see how Wada gets more than one more start and he has yet to surpass 3 innings.

I agreed with this earlier, but I'm flip flopping and I actually disagree. There's too much time for him to spin 2 gems and for Matusz to fall apart in his last 2 starts. It could absolutely happen, but I sure hope not.

Clearly, Frobby should have said "are approaching zero." ;)

Roch says: "Wada could make two more starts after today and get up to six innings in the last one before leaving camp." I figure the same could go for Matusz, but I haven't looked at the schedule, so I could be wrong. But I believe there's some games against college teams and then the one against AAA Norfolk, so maybe enough innings to go around?

Unless you pitch him on 3 days rest, there simply isn't enough time left. He could pitch Sun. and again the following Friday opening day. That isn't happening.

Yeah, fair enough. I'm just wary of how quick things change during the spring, even with real games just around the corner. Certainly seems like the 5th spot is Matusz's at this point.
Worst case scenario: someone gets injured. Would Wada be the first choice to replace them or would Tillman or, Simon, or Eveland be?

Archived