Big day for Wada

Frobby

This statement lowers your intellectual credibility to an almost insurmountable nadir. Like, James Cameron-exploring-the-Marianas-Trench level.

Whatever. Tell me whom you could trade Jones for that had stats equal to Bedard did at the time and had two years left of team control?

You keep thinking AM was a good GM with his trades and picks yet we are no better off when he left than when he got here.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

By the way, I still remember that 7.1 IP, 4 ER game. Matusz had a shutout through 7 IP, then allowed 4 straight hits with 1 out in the 8th, and left the game leading 3-1 with the bases loaded. JJ came in and got a pop out, but then he and Ohman allowed 3 straight hits and Matusz ended up charged with 4 ER. It was actually a brilliant performance by him up until the 8th and the bullpen hurt him badly. The bullpen did him no favors early that season, allowing 6 inherited runners to score in 3 consecutive starts in April. Even so he had a 3.93 ERA through May 4, before hitting a rough patch.

Yeah...he was filthy that night. We were on a pretty bad losing streak, so Trembley decided to break out the orange unis. Then Wiggy launched a 2-run homer, and it looked like we were finally going to win. Then we the BP blew the game, but Scott tied it late. Then, I believe Pena launched a 2-run homer in extras, and we lost....again. We didn't win another game until a Sunday up in Boston. I want to say Cla Meredith recorded the save that day in extra innings. I also believe that Tejada had a home run in the game, possibly the game winner.

Oh...I guess I just started rambling on...

EDIT: After looking it up, I forgot that Matusz won his next start in Oakland against Brett Anderson, which was before the Boston win.

Whatever. Tell me whom you could trade Jones for that had stats equal to Bedard did at the time and had two years left of team control?

Why would you even want a guy who only has 2 years left of service time?

You would be taking on an expensive player that is unlikely to sign here long term.

That makes no sense.

Jones has also greatly outpeformed what Bedard did and could either fetch a good package or we could sign him and he would still continue to be more valuable than Bedard.

Your ideas on this are incredibly poor.

If you wish we had gotten more out of Tillman and the rest, that's fine...but the trade was obviously a win for the team and if they do the right thing and deal Jones for a good package, the trade could end up being even better.

Why would you even want a guy who only has 2 years left of service time?

You would be taking on an expensive player that is unlikely to sign here long term.

That makes no sense.

Jones has also greatly outpeformed what Bedard did and could either fetch a good package or we could sign him and he would still continue to be more valuable than Bedard.

Your ideas on this are incredibly poor.

If you wish we had gotten more out of Tillman and the rest, that's fine...but the trade was obviously a win for the team and if they do the right thing and deal Jones for a good package, the trade could end up being even better.

Why would you want a guy who only has two years left of eligibilty? Well so you could improve your team. I have never understood we have to trade that guy he only has two years left. Well with that thinking you will always have a last place team. Soon as a guy starts to get good you need to trade him.

Well I would prefer Mtusz in the rotation and Wada in the pen, if that's the choice. But if Wada is lights out the next two turns, and Matusz has poor TTP, then he could be in Norfolk.

Unless there is something wrong with his arm this is where he should be.

Honestly, I like the idea of Wada in the bullpen. He seems like he can throw strikes and miss bats and that could become very valuable if he can pitch fairly often while keeping his stuff.

He didnt do either today which brings me back to the issues he had with his elbow. So, a couple things. First, they can start him off on the DL leaving a spot for Patton who really has done everything you can ask to make the team. Or, you ask Wada if he is willing to accept the assignment.

If you start him on the DL, you have only prolonged the same problem if he says no to going down. And I ask you this, if Wada is a bust is it worth giving away a guy we know already got guys out last year when we called on him and has done it again in ST this year all because we made a bad signing?

You keep thinking AM was a good GM with his trades and picks yet we are no better off when he left than when he got here.

At the time we made the trade, Bedard was a guy who was a brilliant pitcher but a known injury risk. It was openly discussed that he had undergone TJ surgery in 2002, and had missed time in 2004, 2005 and 2007 with injuries. And guess what, he only managed 164 innings over the next two years after the trade, and then he was a free agent.

Meanwhile, we got 6 years of Jones , 6 years of Tillman, 4 years of Sherrill (who we chose to trade after 1.5 years), 6 years of Mickolio (who we traded in the Reynolds deal) and 6 years of Butler (who got hurt).

We came out way ahead in that deal.

Why would you want a guy who only has two years left of eligibilty? Well so you could improve your team. I have never understood we have to trade that guy he only has two years left. Well with that thinking you will always have a last place team. Soon as a guy starts to get good you need to trade him.

But he isn't going to improve you to the point where you can contend in the next 2 years.

at the end of the day, although MacPhail made some good trades, trades that could be considered a win for what he gave up and got in return, at the end of the day non of his trades changed the fortunes of the Orioles.

Angelos for DeWitt, Henry, Moreno (heck, just about anyone except McCourt or Loria) would be the only trade that could change the fortunes of the O's

It's all about increasing your assets. We had one player in Bedard who actually had some value. We weren't exactly hoarding a dozen great players and trading away our playoff tickets.

I suppose you would rather we extended Bedard?

You realize this has been lauded as one of the greatest fleecing of all time right?

Bedard trade wasn't good. A young number 1 starter with two years left of eligibilty and all we get is Adam Jones? Do you think we could get a similar starter today for Jones? I don't think so..

Bedard was injured for most of the following years with Seattle. Regardless of what he did successfully with the Sox or the Pirates, that was after he hit free agency. We never would have or should have re-signed him. We traded a player at the peak of his team controlled career, making it an awesome trade.

It wouldn't appear so, would it. If it's one thing I would love the OH to do more of, it's police thread derailing. More of a pet peeve of mine than any real criticism of the OH, though.

Haha, yeah me, too. Not that I wasn't enthralled with what had taken over, but I really wanted to get to where the team stood as far as Wada and the rotation and the staff.

He was at the game Evidently he was having problems with posting it.

BoltonBob says

Tuesday March 27 Update

Hits the O's first in Sarasota and left early to get to Clearwater, after watching "same old story" about pitching and not hitting. Seem like they are tired and gave up unlike the last few games, where they played with desire, hustle and a don't quit attitude. Wada and Tillman both struggled (to put it nicely) and bats were silent.

This argument is astoundingly poor on many different levels.

First, you are asking who we could trade Jones for NOW that is on the level Bedard was on BACK then? Fine, atomic, who could the Pirates trade NOW's Bedard for that is currently on the high level that Jones was on then? You can't have it both ways, and that is the first, fatal flaw in your argument.

Second, you conveniently forget that we did not "just" get Jones for Bedard. It was actually a 5 for 1, and the 5 included Chris Tillman who is still only 23 and still cheap and under team control for while. The trade also brought in George Sherrill who gave us a good year and a half at closer and then fetched what should have been a strong haul in Bell and Johnson. Mickolio wasn't terrible the whole time he was with us either and helped us acquire Reynolds.

Third, you are ignoring hindsight. Bedard hardly pitched with Seattle because of nagging injuries (something we saw in Baltimore too), so apparently we did trade him at the right time.

Do you have a counter to these points or can we just officially chalk your argument up as poor?

Per Roch

Is this a step backwards?

"I think so. If I keep pitching like this, I know I won't be able to throw and be in the starting rotation, I might not even be able to throw in general (for the Orioles) if I keep up throwing like this. I have to work on it."

"I was trying to have fun today, and it wasn't awkward or anything. I liked the atmosphere, I was really looking forward to pitching today. That's why I feel sorry for the crowd that came here to watch me."

Does he feel like he's running out of time to make the team?

"Yes, I do,"

Archived