O's DFA Eveland

TonySoprano

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't think less of the Dana Eveland trade just because we ended up cutting him. We lost Henson and Martin. Henson is filler, Martin is going to be.

I don't think less of the Eveland trade either. Of course that's because I thought it was a waste at the time -- even if those we gave up become filler.

BTW -- How psyched would you be if when Tony threw down and challenged everyone to name players they'd rather have picked up for free than the immortal Dana Eveland you had said: "Zelous Wheeler!"

Of course, everyone would have laughed at the thought rather than now trying to find the logic of it.

One positive I see out of this is Duq's willingness to objectively view his own moves. He is not holding on to him in an effort to prove he was right.

I agree with this, but it also makes us realize that our gut is usually correct. It was a head scratcher at the time and still is:)

This can't be so!

MikeGallo and CA-Orioles have been telling me how great of a pick up he was...How it was worth it to trade assets(even ones that aren't that big of a deal) for him because he was going to surprise!

BTW, I am just shocked that he didn't make the ML roster..I mean, who does this guy think he is? A dime a dozen guy? Oh wait, that's exactly who and what he is and its exactly why you don't trade anything for him.

That being said, I hope he isn't claimed and that he goes to AAA because he could be serviceable in a small sample size if needed.

This can't be so!

MikeGallo and CA-Orioles have been telling me how great of a pick up he was...How it was worth it to trade assets(even ones that aren't that big of a deal) for him because he was going to surprise!

BTW, I am just shocked that he didn't make the ML roster..I mean, who does this guy think he is? A dime a dozen guy? Oh wait, that's exactly who and what he is and its exactly why you don't trade anything for him.

That being said, I hope he isn't claimed and that he goes to AAA because he could be serviceable in a small sample size if needed.

He has been crappy in his last 3 years in AAA. I don't see him providing anything to the team even as an emergency call-up.

He gets DFA'd after making some statements that Buck disagreed with. I wonder if no joy in O's land.

While other pitchers have been working their inning counts into the teens, Eveland came into the day having thrown just nine innings this spring. His previous two outings were single-inning relief appearances, and his last start had been 17 days earlier.

"I hadn't been extended in my last couple outings, so I just went out there and tried my best to try to go my four innings or however long [manager Buck Showalter] wanted me to go today," Eveland said. "Obviously, it's a different game when you're going in [for] one inning and you can throw your best stuff and then you're done versus in a start, when you have to try to last a little longer. I was happy with the fact that my body felt good the whole entire time. I didn't get tired at all."

Afterward, Eveland said he couldn't see himself in the Orioles' starting rotation because he wasn't stretched out enough."It was just my third start of spring, but it was my first time really getting extended," he said. "I wouldn't be ready to go seven innings next week, so I don't know if that is a possibility. If I could slide into the long-relief job or the lefty guy in the 'pen, that would be great. But we have a lot of great competition in camp. There are four left-handers who could possibly fill in that bullpen job. Who knows what's going to happen?"

Showalter begged to differ, saying Eveland is still in the mix.

"Everybody's a candidate right now," Showalter said. "We've got time for, really, two more starts if you look at the fifth starter, but if he sees it that way ... I'm not sure. If he was a little more efficient with his pitches, he could have pitched five innings today."

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/bs-sp-orioles-notes-0329-20120328,0,7496343.story

Archived