O's DFA Eveland

TonySoprano

He gets DFA'd after making some statements that Buck disagreed with. I wonder if no joy in O's land.

While other pitchers have been working their inning counts into the teens, Eveland came into the day having thrown just nine innings this spring. His previous two outings were single-inning relief appearances, and his last start had been 17 days earlier.

"I hadn't been extended in my last couple outings, so I just went out there and tried my best to try to go my four innings or however long [manager Buck Showalter] wanted me to go today," Eveland said. "Obviously, it's a different game when you're going in [for] one inning and you can throw your best stuff and then you're done versus in a start, when you have to try to last a little longer. I was happy with the fact that my body felt good the whole entire time. I didn't get tired at all."

Afterward, Eveland said he couldn't see himself in the Orioles' starting rotation because he wasn't stretched out enough."It was just my third start of spring, but it was my first time really getting extended," he said. "I wouldn't be ready to go seven innings next week, so I don't know if that is a possibility. If I could slide into the long-relief job or the lefty guy in the 'pen, that would be great. But we have a lot of great competition in camp. There are four left-handers who could possibly fill in that bullpen job. Who knows what's going to happen?"

Showalter begged to differ, saying Eveland is still in the mix.

"Everybody's a candidate right now," Showalter said. "We've got time for, really, two more starts if you look at the fifth starter, but if he sees it that way ... I'm not sure. If he was a little more efficient with his pitches, he could have pitched five innings today."

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/bs-sp-orioles-notes-0329-20120328,0,7496343.story

That hardly seems that contentious, though. I mean, sheesh.

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Why not? That's the reason. He's an infielder with good OBP to add to your minor league system. Don't over-think it. He's better than Josh Bell, who will be DFA'd soon I would imagine. Buck talks a lot about upgrading the 40-man. This qualifies, and yes, that says a lot about our minor league system, but at least Duq is being active.

Seems like a Josh Bell redux to me. Check out Bell's OBP before he got here. Seems like we're throwing things against the wall and seeing what sticks.

We didn't really trade anything of value for Eveland. You guys need to let that go. Worst trade, really? As Snoop D-O-Double Gizzle says, "U betta recognize!"

Though I do like that they aren't just sticking with a player just because. He provides nice depth if he's not claimed. Teams are cutting players right now and who's going to claim an Oriole pitcher?? I think he stays.

He has been crappy in his last 3 years in AAA. I don't see him providing anything to the team even as an emergency call-up.

Well, i do disagree with this...He was decent last year in AAA and he does keep the ball down and get grounders.

He is an excellent journeyman starter to stick in the minors that you could have as vet depth. He isn't anything special but he could come up for 5-10 starts or 35 innings out of the pen and keep you in games.

There is value to that....but you don't trade anything for that especially a player with a good arm who COULD become a decent reliever down the road.

Guys like Eveland are always out there.

Yeah worst trade. If we didn't make that trade or any of the other numerous garbage heap pick-ups we could still have matt angle.

I really think that sometimes you don't see the forest for the trees. Angle was an inconsequential loss. As were Martin and Henson. Eveland was a "it's December and the only starting pitcher we have that isn't hurt is Jeremy Guthrie" move.

I really think that sometimes you don't see the forest for the trees. Angle was an inconsequential loss. As were Martin and Henson. Eveland was a "it's December and the only starting pitcher we have that isn't hurt is Jeremy Guthrie" move.

And none of this justifies TRADING for him.

Yup, and the choices at starter get clearer. So who is the long reliever on the O's? Bergy,Berken and now Eveland are off. Simon looks rusty, Tillman?

I still think it's Simon. They aren't going to risk losing him.

Archived