Jacob Pettit

paulcoates

http://www.baseballamerica.com/statistics/players/cards/93188

I have followed this guy for a couple of years. He is now 25 and put up pretty solid numbers to me in the minors but he only in AA. I realize it is his second year, but having not ever seen him in person, his stat line looks impressive.

He has a nice career k:BB ratio at 164:50 in 217 innings, with a career 3.15 era, and only gives up 1 HR every 13.5 IP. Anyone know why he is not a better prospect for us?

He's the kind of guy I like to root for. He was a 42nd round pick, so how can you not? I've watched him as well, and he's always put up good numbers in the minors. I think RZNJ is right, he wasn't/isn't highly regarded because of the lack of velocity - and yet he still succeeds. Let's keep in mind that his first year in Bluefield, he was 23 so he should have put up good numbers. Last year he was mainly in Delmarva as a 24 yo and did great. I think he's caught some attention within the organization now though. Essentially, he has skipped Frederick and they placed him in Bowie as a 25 yo. If he puts up similar numbers this year at the AA level he'll have everyone's attention, in part because he's pitching against similar age players. In fact, while not young for AA, he's actually one of the youngest pitchers in Bowie. Let's keep watching him and I'll have my fingers crossed.

I love guys like Petit, who do nothing but perform despite their apparent lack of a major league fastball. Maybe he's a Dave Johnson in the making, who can have a plausible major league career for reasons nobody can quite fathom. More likely, he's John Stephens, but we'll see. I'm glad to see him off to a good start in AA.

I love guys like Petit, who do nothing but perform despite their apparent lack of a major league fastball. Maybe he's a Dave Johnson in the making, who can have a plausible major league career for reasons nobody can quite fathom. More likely, he's John Stephens, but we'll see. I'm glad to see him off to a good start in AA.

Tony gives his take as post #2 here.

• 2 years later...

Archived