Matusz Tonight

OFFNY

• Replies 564
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, Matusz looked nothing short of terrible today. He was throwing meatballs at a Tommy Hunter like rate. Just terrible command, everything was ending up middle of the plate, belt high. It's okay that his velocity was down tonight--that happens--but his command was as bad as it's been in the last 3 starts, even though it doesn't show up in # of walks.

I wouldn't be opposed to seeing him sent down. He looks a long way away, for me.

BRIAN MATUSZ O(vs. ANGELS 6/26)

IP:. 5-Plus

H:o 13

R:O 5

BB: 0

SO: 1

Pitches: 82 (59 Strikes, 23 Balls)

2012 ERA: 5.24

MATUSZ BY INNINGS

8 *

* Matusz did not retire any batters before departing in the 6th inning.

Yeah, Matusz looked nothing short of terrible today. He was throwing meatballs at a Tommy Hunter like rate. Just terrible command, everything was ending up middle of the plate, belt high. It's okay that his velocity was down tonight--that happens--but his command was as bad as it's been in the last 3 starts, even though it doesn't show up in # of walks.

I wouldn't be opposed to seeing him sent down. He looks a long way away, for me.

^^^ Agree with this.

It looked like he was locating his FB okay at a lower velocity (when I got to watch), but he was leaving curves and change-ups over the plate at an alarming rate.

To all the clever statisticians out there: is this a big enough sample size to tell that Matusz isn't ML caliber, or do we need to give him another 20 starts that'll end up exactly like this one?

Meh. That said, the sample size of your posts is big enough to tell us a lot of things definitively.

Matusz and Arrieta (and Hunter) all seem to get hit hard even when their walks are down. Did Matusz walk a single batter tonite? It goes against the theory that pitching to contact and keeping walks down will make you effective. They must all be tipping pitches easily for batters to tee off like they do..

Archived