Why aren't people complaining about Betemit's defense?

Sports Guy

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Great...sub 700 OPS third baseman! Woohoo!

Btw, not trying to be smart here, just pointing out the awful options.

It would be great if Antonelli could get bsk to where he was a few years ago.

I still wish they would have tried Reynolds in LF some in th offseason and ST.

Why on earth? With Reimold's plate discipline and power, why on earth would you even bet that Reynolds will put up a higher OPS that Reimold this year?

And to try switching positions cold in mid-professional career? You can't be serious that you'd rather have gone into this year with a Reynolds in LF experiment than with Riemold?

I don't profess to understand the stupidity in other teams' front offices ;)

Well, our front office sure look genius for bringing him in here!!! We can't give him away.

Look, I get it. I was in favor of the trade. If Reynolds settles down and plays average defense, if he gives us .250/.350/850 then he's obviously a great value. That was what all of us were hoping for.

(But) that hasn't happened. Now we're in a hole. I agree that we should continue to play him. We really don't have much choice. He has no value to other organizations right now. They avoided the La Brea tar pits and we walked into them. Arizona saw them coming.

(But) let's not try to spin this as this was some good move by the Orioles to saddle ourselves with a 1-tool player.

Why on earth? With Reimold's plate discipline and power, why on earth would you even bet that Reynolds will put up a higher OPS that Reimold this year?

And to try switching positions cold in mid-professional career? You can't be serious that you'd rather have gone into this year with a Reynolds in LF experiment than with Riemold?

Reimold could DH and play the OF as well...not taking any at bats from him.

Well, our front office sure look genius for bringing him in here!!! We can't give him away.

Look, I get it. I was in favor of the trade. If Reynolds settles down and plays average defense, if he gives us .250/.350/850 then he's obviously a great value. That was what all of us were hoping for.

(But) that hasn't happened. Now we're in a hole. I agree that we should continue to play him. We really don't have much choice. He has no value to other organizations right now. They avoided the La Brea tar pits and we walked into them. Arizona saw them coming.

(But) let's not try to spin this as this was some good move by the Orioles to saddle ourselves with a 1-tool player.

His offense was fine last year. Giving up on his offense already?

By the way, I agree with the tread. Betemit is not a defensive upgrade if Reynolds upticks at all from last year. I'm hoping that Buck was just trying to keep Mark off the artificial turf and doesn't really think that Betemit is a meaningful defensive upgrade.

First of all, we still don't know if Reimold is the answer for left field. Three days ago people were already calling for his ouster from the lineup. I want him to have his chance, but it is always good to have a backup plan.

Second, talking up Reimold for his power and plate discipline while ignoring that those are what Reynolds does best as well doesn't help your point.

Third, are you OK with Reynolds moving to first base full-time? Because switching positions cold in mid-professional career and all...

Giving Reynolds time in left field would only have answered questions. If he struggled enough that he looked completely out of place, we know he can't do it. If he didn't--and since he is athletic, has a good arm, and there is historical precedent (Chipper Jones, Ryan Braun), there is no reason to think he couldn't do that--it gives the Orioles more options to work with.

So, yeah. I would have loved to see the team give Reynolds a shot during the off-season and spring.

His offense was fine last year. Giving up on his offense already?

Not at all. His OPS was .806 and Nolan's was at .781 after sitting around in the minors for 1/3 of a season and getting platoon-like starts for another 1/3. Would you really replace Nolan in left with a Mark Reynolds experiment?

If Mark doesn't settle down in the field I don't think he will perform at the plate either, unless he learns to DH. (But) I agree with you. Our hands are tied at this point. We have to hope that he can settle down and establish some value at 3rd. Davis deserves the shot at 1st. We have Betemit and Johnson to DH. We don't want to eliminate 1/2 of our trade partners. Mark just has to come through or we eat the fact that that trade didn't work for us, even though all of us should accept that it was a good trade/bet at the time.

La Brea tar pits. I don't even know how to respond to that insanity.

First of all, we still don't know if Reimold is the answer for left field. Three days ago people were already calling for his ouster from the lineup. I want him to have his chance, but it is always good to have a backup plan.

Second, talking up Reimold for his power and plate discipline while ignoring that those are what Reynolds does best as well doesn't help your point.

Third, are you OK with Reynolds moving to first base full-time? Because switching positions cold in mid-professional career and all...

Giving Reynolds time in left field would only have answered questions. If he struggled enough that he looked completely out of place, we know he can't do it. If he didn't--and since he is athletic, has a good arm, and there is historical precedent (Chipper Jones, Ryan Braun), there is no reason to think he couldn't do that--it gives the Orioles more options to work with.

So, yeah. I would have loved to see the team give Reynolds a shot during the off-season and spring.

Um, no. I was pretty adamant in the other thread that giving Reynolds time at 1B in lieu of Davis was insane.

And, no, it is not irrelevant to point out that OBP and power are Nolan's strengths. I want to see what he can do with a full season. The closest he came to a full season, after having been sent to the minors in the spring in 2009 his OPS lead the team. So I am not apologizing that he ought to be given first licks at showing what he can do out there. Given the same number of at-bats this year, by how much are you expecting Mark Reynolds to out-perform Nolan Reimold at the plate?

By the way, I have made the point explicitly in numerous threads recently that Nolan has to get off his a@$@ and start performing in LF. He's misplayed like 50% of the balls out there and he shouldn't have a job with us if he doesn't get the job done. Same as Mark, who isn't getting the job done at 3B.

I just don't understand you're probability assessment for getting a better offensive/defensive combination in LF from Mark Reynolds this year versus Nolan Riemold.

Um, no. I was pretty adamant in the other thread that giving Reynolds time at 1B in lieu of Davis was insane.

And, no, it is not irrelevant to point out that OBP and power are Nolan's strengths. I want to see what he can do with a full season. The closest he came to a full season, after having been sent to the minors in the spring in 2009 his OPS lead the team. So I am not apologizing that he ought to be given first licks at showing what he can do out there. Given the same number of at-bats this year, by how much are you expecting Mark Reynolds to out-perform Nolan Riemold at the plate?

By the way, I have made the point explicitly in numerous threads recently that Nolan has to get off his a@$@ and start performing in LF. He's misplayed like 50% of the balls out there and he shouldn't have a job with us if he doesn't get the job done. Same as Mark, who isn't getting the job done at 3B.

I just don't understand you're probability assessment for getting a better offensive/defensive combination in LF from Mark Reynolds this year versus Nolan Riemold.

Reimold isn't all that in LF and he has never proven that he could be anything over a full season. The experiment was something to look into during the offseason and just see what happens. Reimold would have still played out there some and not lost at bats.

OK, fine.

And, no, it is not irrelevant to point out that OBP and power are Nolan's strengths.

Not even remotely what I said.

I want to see what he can do with a full season. The closest he came to a full season, after having been sent to the minors in the spring in 2009 his OPS lead the team. So I am not apologizing that he ought to be given first licks at showing what he can do out there.

Somewhere within the ballpark of what I said.

Given the same number of at-bats this year, by how much are you expecting Mark Reynolds to out-perform Nolan Riemold at the plate?

I'm expecting to find out the answer on October 3.

By the way, I have made the point explicitly in numerous threads recently that Nolan has to get off is a@$@ and start performing in LF. He's misplayed like 50% of the balls out there and he shouldn't have a job with us if he doesn't get the job done. Same as Mark, who isn't getting the job done at 3B.

It's amusing. I've been accused of having far too much hope for Reimold as an everyday player because I want to see him get his chance. Which is also what I said to you. But please, believe whatever you want to about what I said.

Archived