Nick Johnson

waroriole

Or... You'd go up there, see three pitches, and sit down. Johnson, worthless as he has been SO FAR, at least looks at ~6 pitches (guess) per at-bat.

Sorry, had too. Nothing personal. For all I know, you may Barry Bonds.

Sorry for not contributing to this discussion.

I think you contributed to it more than any other comment since I left. He does see a lot of pitches, and hopefully it's just a matter of time before he starts smacking those balls. Tony said he looked good in spring.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Johnson signed a minor league contract, right?

If that is the case, can he be sent down so that he could play everyday for awhile to get it going?

He hasn't played that much in last 2 years, and in none of that time was he healthy. He is healthy now, but there is a legitimate question of whether he will be able to return to the form that made him very good before.

Sending him down to play regularly for awhile might be a good option, but it is probably too early for that yet.

I think it is way to early to cut him. The O's don't really have great options. The O's lose that game and we might be talking about Weiters throws to second. On at least four occasions this year ,the throws have veered right and not been close to the bag. I am sure Matt will clean up his technique to be more accurate. Johnson also needs more time to see if he is done.

Johnson looked good when he gave Adam Jones five after his game-tying home run last night.

Based on that, I think that Johnson homers if he is in the lineup tonight.

If he's not in the lineup, he won't.

??? He had a 127 wRC+ in 2009.

His WAR in 2009 was 1.0. Compare that to Damon. He needs to hit better than he did in 2009 if he wants to be a major league first baseman/DH. Damon had 2.8 WAR last year. Plus he steals bases.

His WAR in 2009 was 1.0. Compare that to Damon. He needs to hit better than he did in 2009 if he wants to be a major league first baseman/DH. Damon had 2.8 WAR last year. Plus he steals bases.

rWAR for pitchers is fine but if you're using it for hitters, it's inferior. Second of all, Johnson's rWAR was a 1.6 not 1 in 2009. He was split between 2 teams. Johnson's fWAR was 2.1 in 2009 and Damons fWAR was 1.5 last year. Johnson wRC+ was 127, Damon's was 109. If you believe Damon is a plus fielder per rWAR (total zone which is inferior to uzr) then I think you're wrong. Damon's WAR value was helped by defense/positional adjustment in LF while Johnon's was reduced at first base (and by baserunning). Since they both would likely be playing more DH than the field, that would be negated. The only way Damon wins is if you think he's a good/average defensive LF'er and would play there.

Daniel Cabrera went 0/14 as an Oriole.

Johnson has passed that at 0/16, but he only has 4 Ks compared to D-Cab's perfect 14.

D-Cab also is 0/26 in his career. I don't think Nick Johnson will make it that far.

He hasn't had a decent season since 2006.

Factually incorrect.

I have no idea why he made the team.

Pretty obvious that when he's healthy he's an on-base machine.

Johnny Damon was out there he would have been a better option

Damon is 38 and to get him to sign with the Indians after the season started they had to pay him almost twice what the O's are paying Johnson and with some kind of opt-out clause that lets him go partway through the year if he wants. To get Damon to the O's you'd have had to pay him at least several $million to be a part time DH and Reimold caddy.

Does your opinion change if Damon starts the year 1-for-20 with the Indians? Do you then post how some other random grade C- free agent was the obvious choice? In all seriousness, if you post that Damon >>>>>> Johnson, without any other information I'm inclined to think Johnson >>> Damon.

I wasn't able to see a single ST game when people were excited about him so I'm left scratching my head. He looks absolutely horrible at the plate. A shell of a shell of a shell of his former self... maybe throw in another shell. Just painful to watch.

Johnson looked good when he gave Adam Jones five after his game-tying home run last night.

Based on that, I think that Johnson homers if he is in the lineup tonight.

If he's not in the lineup, he won't.

Johnson really isnt a homer guy. Some hits would be a nice step in the right direction. I personally believe he will be fine.

With the players on the field today, Davis should have been in the 5th spot. No reason to have Nick Johnson batting behind Jones. O’s were very fortunate Floyd was foolish enough to pitch to Jones instead of Johnson.

I hope someone can ask Buck why Nick Johnson is batting as high as 5th despite looking awful at the plate. Yes, I am aware he had a rbi ground out today..

Anyway, on a positive note, O's up 5-2!

Johnson has looked really bad so far, and I hope he doesn't take too many AB's away from Davis. That being said, the reason you don't give up on him is the same reason that no one expects each of Wieters, Reimold, and Jones to finish with 50+ HR this year. It's early.

Johnson has looked really bad so far, and I hope he doesn't take too many AB's away from Davis. That being said, the reason you don't give up on him is the same reason that no one expects each of Wieters, Reimold, and Jones to finish with 50+ HR this year. It's early.

0 for 20...

:slowgolfclap:

Archived