Sun:Grimsley names 3 O's in banned drug case

TWpj

Even if players are super-secretive about what they are using (and they might not be), someone who is taking steroids is probably pretty good at telling whether or not other people are taking them.

Sadly, Grimsley probably had pretty good reasons (and perhaps first-hand knowledge) of steroid use among the players he mentioned.

There still are enough "sources close to Grimsley" out there claiming that the names were introduced by the investigators rather than Grimsley that I find the list pretty suspect. Some are even saying Grimsley did not confirm or deny any of the names that were presented to him either. The wording in the affidavit was quite vague and didn't contain direct quotes from Grimsley or mention even asking him how he knew. Maybe these guys did steroids, maybe they didn't, but I'm not entirely convinced Jason Grimsley even came out in so many words and said they did.

• Replies 430
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I am forty seven. I do not socialize with my coworkers. I KNOW which of them use illegal drugs. I suspect that steroids are not a closely kept secret in the millionaire society of major league ballplayers.

Unless you saw them using or they told you they are using you don't KNOW. You only THINK or SUSPECT. That's what that word KNOW means.

Without reading through the whole thread, my thoughts are I'm not suprised, like SG I don't really "care" that much and I'm more concerned about the bad publicity this will bring to the team with a media looking for blood.

Everyone in baseball...no, everyone in SPORTS is on something. Its just the reality of today's competitive atmosphere. If something's out there, you either take it, or you fall behind.

I should hope a lot of this was taken when there was no comprehensive policy in baseball (which there wasn't before like TWO years ago), and that they are relatively clean now.

As for the "they've never failed a drug test" talk, come on, grow up. They're referred to in some circles as "intelligence tests". There are tons of ways to beat them and if you can't, you're stupid and deserve to fail.

Maybe its because I'm a wrestling fan too, so I've been exposed to this stuff for years and its numbed me. But its also educated me, a lot.

Like I said, best case scenario is this stuff blows over so it doesn't reflect badly on the team. It would be nice to see short succint apologies from our guys and then they can focus their withhunt on the Astros guys instead.

Oh, ok.

So what statements were those, specifically?

Who the friggin' knows!

The affidavit is from someone that says that Grimsley said it. Unless Grimsley comes out on radio and/or TV, maybe some people would wait and hold judgement on the players before their burned at the stake.

I don't think anyone should be burned at the stake. I think people should be more sympathetic...well that's a little strong, but a little more smart I guess about the realities of modern sports, and get a grip that these guys aren't doing anything that everyone else is doing too. They just had the unfortunate luck (always seems to happen to the Os!) of being "outed" in the media.

Who the friggin' knows!

The affidavit is from someone that says that Grimsley said it. Unless Grimsley comes out on radio and/or TV, maybe some people would wait and hold judgement on the players before their burned at the stake.

So then the affadavit is not from Grimsley himself?

Grimsley hasn't denied any of it, publicly.

Who the friggin' knows!

Grimsley will never speak on the record to anyone other than those in the legal system again.

So then the affadavit is not from Grimsley himself?

Grimsley hasn't denied any of it, publicly.

From the same Washington Post article...

According to the 20-page search warrant affidavit, signed by IRS Special Agent Jeff Novitzky, Grimsley told investigators he obtained amphetamines, anabolic steroids and human growth hormone from a source recommended to him by former Yankees trainer Brian McNamee. The former team trainer is a personal strength coach for Clemens and Pettitte.

The affidavit, is the words of IRS Special Agent Jeff Novitzky. Here you have an over zealous IRS agent to get Barry Bonds, because "He's such an asshole to the press,", that he tried to get Grimsley to wear a wire to record conversation with Bonds and I would not put it past Novitzky to stretch the truth a bit on what Grimsley said.

All I'm asking is that we kinda layoff the witchhunt...

As for the "they've never failed a drug test" talk, come on, grow up. They're referred to in some circles as "intelligence tests". There are tons of ways to beat them and if you can't, you're stupid and deserve to fail.

There might be a third option, ie.....you didn't know you took steroids, as Palmerio claimed. And this whole mess again raises the possibility he was telling the truth.

I don't think anyone should be burned at the stake. I think people should be more sympathetic...well that's a little strong, but a little more smart I guess about the realities of modern sports, and get a grip that these guys aren't doing anything that everyone else is doing too. They just had the unfortunate luck (always seems to happen to the Os!) of being "outed" in the media.

I agree. I certainly don't want to believe they used steroids but I can't assume they didn't just as much as I can't assume they did based on someone's statement. That said, I have to say the bit of doubt about Roberts being clean bothers me most of all. But like you said, if indeed it were to later be substantially shown that he did indeed use them, he just happens to be one of many others I'm sure who used but just weren't named (at least not yet). Before the LA Times story I was pretty much against the use of steroids, but even more than that, against the people who have lied about it. I have respect for Segui & Giambi for admitting they used. Anybody who has used & lied about it after the fact really bothers me.

Archived