Some New Information About The Draft

Few things:

1) Why would Houston publicly announce who they are going to pick? By not announcing, they force the other teams to keep in contact with multiple kids and flesh out multiple scenario responses.

Sorry I just saw this - I pay attention to the draft for about 2 months each year - starting today. :)

Anyway, I'm curious - how would Houston benefit by forcing other clubs to keep in contact with mulitple kids? That doesn't make sense to me.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, the prospect order could turn out to be

1. Bundy

2. Almora/Buxton/Correa

3. Machado

if Stotles earlier evaluations prove to be correct. Wouldn't surprise me greatly and that's not meant as a knock on Machado.

Meanwhile, I know they are both very young for their league, but I'd really like to see Machado and Schoop run off a dominant streak against the competition. They've each had little spurts, but no sustained periods where you say "Wow."

Well, the prospect order could turn out to be

1. Bundy

2. Almora/Buxton/Correa

3. Machado

if Stotles earlier evaluations prove to be correct. Wouldn't surprise me greatly and that's not meant as a knock on Machado.

Meanwhile, I know they are both very young for their league, but I'd really like to see Machado and Schoop run off a dominant streak against the competition. They've each had little spurts, but no sustained periods where you say "Wow."

I think I'd be a little surprised if whoever our first round pick is, jumps above Machado.

Sorry I just saw this - I pay attention to the draft for about 2 months each year - starting today. :)

Anyway, I'm curious - how would Houston benefit by forcing other clubs to keep in contact with mulitple kids? That doesn't make sense to me.

Time is a commodity. Time teams have to spend on their 1st Round pick is time they can't spend contacting supplemental-1st, 2nd, or 3rd Round targets. For more creative teams, this means you need to take the time to lay out multiple paths with regards to how you put together tyour draft portfolio. Maybe Minnesota would take Appel over anyone, but the next five are jumbled together. If you say Appel is off the board with certainty, they know they can go with whichever of the next four agrees to the best deal. They can then get on the phone with someone like Smoral or Giolito or McCullers and let them know they have $3 MM waiting for them if they last to the supplemental-1st round (Minnesota has the first pick).

Now, say Appel might not go 1st. Minnesota has to additionally spend time talking to Appel to figure out whether he'll sign for their slot amount, or if they need to free up extra money from one of their supplemental picks. If the latter, they need to go to their draft board and start calling 2nd or 3rd round talents to see if they'll sign below allotment in the supplemental round in order to free up extra money for Appel.

To Stotle or anyone else with information on the subject:

How does Buxton compare to Mike Trout? Both as draft prospects and future MLB. Thanks in advance

Trout better baseball refinement, better hit tool, and more refined baseball ability. Buxton better arm and slightly higher ceiling, but fair amount of work to be done.

Trout better baseball refinement, better hit tool, and more refined baseball ability. Buxton better arm and slightly higher ceiling, but fair amount of work to be done.

Until the Orioles prove they can develop a kid like this I hope they pass for one of the other "Top 5"

I think it is unlikely you will see Schoop make the top 50 of any lists based on his performance to date this year.

Schoop is still very young for AA and only had a half season at A+. I think the wiser choice may have been to start him at A+ this year, but I wouldn't necessarily consider his performance to date to be a negative.

I think I'd be a little surprised if whoever our first round pick is, jumps above Machado.

Helpful to keep in mind that the same media sources pegging Machado as can't miss superstar have had Zunino as a top 4 talent all year. That is most certainly not an appraisal that "most" MLB organizations agree with.

That said, those sources are invested in Machado already, so he's likely to maintain his loft prospect status at places like BA and with Keith Law.

That's not to knock Machado as a talent, but if you look at these rankings you have to remember they are many times not a reflection of the feelings of the industry.

Can someone compare Correa to Tim Beckham for me? Would I be right in assuming that if Correa was a certainty to stick at SS he'd go #1?

More power; better arm. Different frame. Beckham got too big too quickly in his lower half, which I think stunted his development. I don't think Correa is a lock for #1 if he was certainty to stick at SS, but I think he'd be in the discussion for Houston, absolutely.

There are some off-the-field questions I'd have relating to Correa, but I'm not sure I'd frame it the way Manuel has (based on your summary).

What's the current expectations of Correa's asking price? Given the extreme poverty of the Correa family described in the media articles, I can't see them risking turning down even $1.5 million.

What's the current expectations of Correa's asking price? Given the extreme poverty of the Correa family described in the media articles, I can't see them risking turning down even $1.5 million.

He will sign. Not sure how open he'll be to pre-draft deal.

Until the Orioles prove they can develop a kid like this I hope they pass for one of the other "Top 5"

I am going to disagree with you here,

I am a big fan of the sixth tool mentioned in the thread earlier and that is work ethic/leadership. If Buxton does posses that sixth tool then he is going to put the time and effort into developing his tools. He has can't miss tools with his speed and potential gold glove defense. I am confident in our farm system to develop this guy considering we have done a good job with Avery, Machado, Schoop, Hoes, and potentially Delmonico. We need to take a risk on a high ceiling bat. He clearly is the highest upside prospect in the draft. Can you imagine this guy working out with Brady Anderson? I really hope this guy falls to us.

Why is Appel so commonly considered the #1 choice? Is it that he was a pre-season favorite and it followed over? Is he really better than others like Gausman, Zimmer, Almora, Buxton and Correa? The Houston connection, born and raised there, and they have the first pick?

Archived