Some New Information About The Draft

Why is Appel so commonly considered the #1 choice? Is it that he was a pre-season favorite and it followed over? Is he really better than others like Gausman, Zimmer, Almora, Buxton and Correa? The Houston connection, born and raised there, and they have the first pick?

The top two players for the # 1 pick have been Buxton and Appel. He has top of the rotation stuff and pitched well for Stanford all year. More detailed scouting reports are on ESPN, Baseball American and MLB.com.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Interesting tidbit from Keith Law's draft chat if he had to rank Correa, Machado and Profar he would rank

1. Profar

2. Machado

3. Correa

ESPN

Assume he's ranking them strictly as shortstops. Since some expect Correa to move to 3B, while most now think Machado can stick at SS, this is not unreasonable. But, I've heard that scouts think that Correa will ultimately be a better hitter than Machado, just not as a SS, so having less positional value.

Assume he's ranking them strictly as shortstops. Since some expect Correa to move to 3B, while most now think Machado can stick at SS, this is not unreasonable. But, I've heard that scouts think that Correa will ultimately be a better hitter than Machado, just not as a SS, so having less positional value.

Why would you assume that? Here's the exact question and answer:

@Jaypers413 (IL)

Could you rank these for me - Correa, Machado, Profar?

Klaw (3:28 PM)

Profar, Machado, Correa. Not a knock on CC though.

Per: MLBtraderumors.com Kevin Goldstein of Baseball Prospectus has the Astros taking high school outfielder Byron Buxton first overall despite yesterday's report about Appel. He reports that checks on the right-hander's signability "were not going well." I know it's not likely but if for some reason Appel fell to us at #4 how would everyone feel about selecting him?

Per: MLBtraderumors.com Kevin Goldstein of Baseball Prospectus has the Astros taking high school outfielder Byron Buxton first overall despite yesterday's report about Appel. He reports that checks on the right-hander's signability "were not going well." I know it's not likely but if for some reason Appel fell to us at #4 how would everyone feel about selecting him?

If we make the pick for Appel, than I won't complain, but to me there isn't much that separates the two

Here is how KLaw ranks them both(oh don't get pissy, it's 2/150 of his scouting reports)

Gausman

Present---Future

Fastball 65 65 -- --

FB Movement 50 50 -- --

Command 40 50 -- --

Control 50 55 -- --

Curveball 40 40 -- --

Slider 55 60 -- --

Changeup 60 65 -- --

Feel for Pitching 40 55

Appel

Fastball 70 70 -- --

FB Movement 40 40 -- --

Command 40 55 -- --

Control 50 60 -- --

Curveball 45 55 -- --

Changeup 55 60 -- --

Feel for Pitching 40 60

They both have a good fastball, both have a plus out pitch(Change) and they both have at least one other average pitch with plus potential so you can't go wrong with either.

I'm starting to come to this conclusion as well. I'm actually fine with Gausman. I think Bundy and Gausman could seriously change the tide in the AL East in a few years. Then again none of us were expecting Rendon to fall last year like he did. Give me one of Gausman, Correa, Almora, or Buxton and I will be a happy camper. Man can you guys imagine if we shocked everyone and took Giolito?! If he is healthy could you imagine Bundy and Giolito for years to come!

I think that Buxton will be a beast. I really hope that the Orioles draft Buxton or Correa. I would be ok with Gausman as well. I think the top 5 or 6 guys are legit and I feel that we will nab one of those guys. I will disappointed if we reach due to "signing pool".

Keith Law just tweeted that the rumor of the Orioles selecting Max Fried "seems to have some legs. Not Guaranteed, but increasingly likely"

:cussing:

I'm not surprised...hopefully they have a deal worked out where he gets a lot under slot and gives us more money to play with in round 2.

Archived