Matt Wieters needs to be benched for a few days

bmoreosfan

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Wieters by month, 2011: .826, .678, .665, .685, .951, .867. He's going to have his slumps. Hopefully, he'll be hot more than he's cold.

And frankly that's not that unusual. I think most hitters of Weiters caliber show splits like this. Which is why I think it's pretty specious to attribute it to playing time- particularly this early in the season.

Wieters by month, 2011: .826, .678, .665, .685, .951, .867. He's going to have his slumps. Hopefully, he'll be hot more than he's cold.

I think most of us would hope that the last couple months of 2011 were a sign of improvement. Like you said, hopefully more hot months than cold months going forward, but at the same time his approach did look much improved (like AJ continues to be) in April whereas in May it looked like he couldn't find the ball at all. We'll see who the true Matt Wieters is going forward I reckon. Somewhere in between April and May I guess.

Wieters had a 1.000+ OPS on May 4th, the begining of a 20 game stretch where he had 3 PA or more for all but the final game, and during that stretch he caught a 17 IN g, a 13 IN g, a 11 IN G and a 15 IN G. His OPS dropped to .784. In the 9 games since then he has had 3 days off and his OPS is back up to .792. IMO that is not just coincidence.

Wieters had a 1.000+ OPS on May 4th, the begining of a 20 game stretch where he had 3 PA or more for all but the final game, and during that stretch he caught a 17 IN g, a 13 IN g, a 11 IN G and a 15 IN G. His OPS dropped to .784. In the 9 games since then he has had 3 days off and his OPS is back up to .792. IMO that is not just coincidence.

IMO it is.

Nothing like hitting .400 over the last week (with a .455 OBP and a 1.055 ops) to quiet all the "Wieters needs to be benched/rest talk."

That's true, Brooks. And the best part of it is that since Matt is hitting well again, we don't even have to consider adding Lew Ford to the 40-man roster, calling him up to Baltimore, and using him as the emergency catcher.

And frankly that's not that unusual. I think most hitters of Weiters caliber show splits like this. Which is why I think it's pretty specious to attribute it to playing time- particularly this early in the season.
IMO it is.

I would like to think the lot of you are more intelligent (or more restrained) than to re-hash this argument again. It will be impossible to identify, or deny, causation.

It is not unreasonable to think that the correlation between his extreme stretch of use and his declining results had some causal nexus.

It is fine to believe that it's not the case.

(I think there's a relationship. But I also think the opportunity to bat from the right side a bit helped. As did a number of unknown other factors, I'm sure.)

Just move on?

Wieters hit better in August and September then he did in June and July in 2011. You would think he would get tired as the season wears on and hit less in the latter months. His home run and RBI drought was in June and July. Perhaps he just goes into month long slumps not based on rest but just because he has slumps.

Wieters hit better in August and September then he did in June and July in 2011. You would think he would get tired as the season wears on and hit less in the latter months. His home run and RBI drought was in June and July. Perhaps he just goes into month long slumps not based on rest but just because he has slumps.

Yep. Good point. I'm with you and COC, probably doesn't mean much of anything.

I understand what you're saying, but you don't think that a position player is anymore "fatigued" in game 157 then they are in game 4?
Using the analogy that a baseball season is like a marathon, if you start off sprinting, you'll be lucky to finish. If you exhaust yourself sprinting up a one mile hill in the middle of 26, you'll be lucky to finish. If a player is not getting any rest during the first 47 G and is getting regular rest during the last 47 he is likely to play better in the latter half.

Archived