Buster Olney on Hamilton to Baltimore

luismatos4prez

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/06/olney-on-hamels-hamilton-quentin.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

One general manager suggested the Orioles could become aggressive bidders for Hamilton, who will likely command an annual salary of $20MM-plus. "But [at that price] I don't think he's got a lot of places to go," the GM told Olney.

I'm not saying do it or don't. But I am saying that Josh Hamilton is the most talented pure hitter I've ever seen and I never get tired of watching him.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/06/olney-on-hamels-hamilton-quentin.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

I'm not saying do it or don't. But I am saying that Josh Hamilton is the most talented pure hitter I've ever seen and I never get tired of watching him.

Hamilton just turned 31 a few weeks ago. He can still play LF decently for now, but over the length of a FA contract, he would likely become a DH.

Edit: It certainly didn't hurt our cause when the fans gave him a standing ovation on his 4 HR/18 TB night. Can only help his impression of us. Props to those who were there and represented Baltimore so well.

I'd give him 7/$154M with some big clause if he falls off the wagon. LF'er for 4-5yrs, would think he had the skill set to play 1b thereafter.

This would be such an awful signing, but, it doesn't surprise me given the general mentality of this board to pay a guy when he is playing above his head for a month or two. We've already taken on one huge unwarranted OF contract this season, I suppose we could work on sinking the next 14 years if we pull another? The only way you even consider this is if the O's are true contenders with a dynamic, young, inexpensive core. (We aren't yet -- I still think it is much more likely we'll be under .500 at the end of the year than above it given our talent level)

This would be such an awful signing, but, it doesn't surprise me given the general mentality of this board to pay a guy when he is playing above his head for a month or two. We've already taken on one huge unwarranted OF contract this season, I suppose we could work on sinking the next 14 years if we pull another? The only way you even consider this is if the O's are true contenders with a dynamic, young, inexpensive core. (We aren't yet -- I still think it is much more likely we'll be under .500 at the end of the year than above it given our talent level)

I take exception to two of your points. First: The idea that Josh Hamilton is "playing above his head for a month or two." He hit .359 with 32 HR and 100 RBI in 2010 while missing almost 30 games, and won an MVP. Last year he hit .294 with 25 HR and 94 HR while missing 40 games. His averages .311 over his career, and a .924 OPS. He's not "playing over his head." This is who he is.

Also, I'm not going to get into another debate about Adam Jones' contract, but suffice it to say that he would've gotten dramatically more in the open market than he did.

I disagree RZ. I believe his problem is a sickness. I would not want him to be banned for life. But maybe MLB could do that. I dont know. But he wont be on the O's anyway. Goodness he is one hell of a player. I also dont believe the Rangers will ever lose him to FA. He is too valuable for them.

Archived