Worth More Going Forward: Tommy Hanson or Adam Jones? (Careful what you wish for)

Sports Guy

Will Jones be traded this offseason?  

94 members have voted

1. 1. Will Jones be traded this offseason?

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I would say the Giants make sense, but as I recall they don't tend to have a great farm system. If you are trading your best asset then you should be targetting a team with a great farm system. Even if you can't get their top prospects, the ancillary pieces should at least be better quality.

I know we've got a less than spectacular "logjam" at first, but any package from San Fran would have to include Brandon Belt to make it to my liking.

I've believed that the Braves, Nats, Giants, and Angels have been at the top of the short list of potential landing spots.

The Braves have plenty of pitching prospects that would be of interest us, such as Delgado, Vizcaino, and Gilmartin, as well as young Major Leaguers like Jurrjens, Beachy, and Minor. I expect Tommy Hanson and Julio Teheran are not being dealt in any Jones package. I have little interest in Prado, unless as a third or fourth player in the deal. The Braves also hold two very good position prospects, in Andrelton Simmons (SS) and Edward Salcedo (3B).

The Nationals were intriguing, but after their blockbuster acquisition of Gio Gonzalez, any deal with them would seemingly need to revolve around a summer trade for 2011 draftees-- like Anthony Rendon (3B), Alex Meyer (RHP), and Matt Purke (LHP). Quite doubtful.

The Giants could really use Jones, but lack a a likely pitching candidate to return in the deal. Any deal with San Francisco would seemingly bring well-regarded CF prospect Gary Brown and possibly SS Joe Panik to Baltimore, who would switch to 2B for us. Yet prime players like Brandon Belt (1B) and Madison Bumgarner (LHP) are most likely staying put. With Duquette's affinity for pitching prospects, it appears that the Giants may not necessarily be a match at this point.

The Angels: Now here is a dark horse team, in my view. After adding super free agents Pujols and Wilson, the Angels are primed to make a strong playoff push against the Rangers and the rest of the AL. Adding a proven talent like Jones to CF, or one of the corners, would bring a strong glove and bat to a lineup that will need it, especially come the playoffs. Some would scoff at the notion that the Angels could pursue Jones, with super prospect Mike Trout at AAA and speedster Peter Bourjos already manning CF. I get that, though the Angels may not quite be ready to rely on the 20-year old Trout, and may consider Jones a necessary upgrade over Bourjos, who would not be the protector that the Angels need hitting behind Pujols. Adam fits under this scenario, although I admit it's a stretch.

So the Braves DO appear to remain as the best overall fit, and likeliest trade partner IF Jones is dealt.

Here is what I think, I think...

1.) Adam Jones should and would be traded in the right deal.

2.) The Orioles have every right to ask for JJ, Delgado/Minor and Prado. if JJ and Prado were so valuable than teams should be offering a great return for their services. The Braves want Jones for a reason and it is the same reason why the Orioles want Jones.

3.) The Braves have every right to say no to the Orioles advances and try to deal JJ and Prado for that stud outfielder that they want. The Orioles are not a playoff team in 2012 and the Braves are. For all the talk about the Braves they have failed in the post season because they have a ton of pitching and not a lot of offense. Fix it and try to win a World Series or leave it alone and roll the dice.

This talk of Jones not being worth JJ and Prado much less any other prospect is down right stupid IMO. If he wasn't worth those two guys than the Braves wouldn't have offered them. If he wasn't worth those two guys than the Orioles wouldn't expect and hold for more. JJ, Minor/Delgado and Prado is a fair deal for both sides because JJ is somewhat of a question mark in terms of a future injury. Prospects are rarely "can't miss" and Prado could be good or he could be a utility player. Try to keep things in perspective and view trades subjectively.

Here is what I think, I think...

1.) Adam Jones should and would be traded in the right deal.

2.) The Orioles have every right to ask for JJ, Delgado/Minor and Prado. if JJ and Prado were so valuable than teams should be offering a great return for their services. The Braves want Jones for a reason and it is the same reason why the Orioles want Jones.

3.) The Braves have every right to say no to the Orioles advances and try to deal JJ and Prado for that stud outfielder that they want. The Orioles are not a playoff team in 2012 and the Braves are. For all the talk about the Braves they have failed in the post season because they have a ton of pitching and not a lot of offense. Fix it and try to win a World Series or leave it alone and roll the dice.

This talk of Jones not being worth JJ and Prado much less any other prospect is down right stupid IMO. If he wasn't worth those two guys than the Braves wouldn't have offered them. If he wasn't worth those two guys than the Orioles wouldn't expect and hold for more. JJ, Minor/Delgado and Prado is a fair deal for both sides because JJ is somewhat of a question mark in terms of a future injury. Prospects are rarely "can't miss" and Prado could be good or he could be a utility player. Try to keep things in perspective and view trades subjectively.

Those people are the new Atlanta contingent of the OH and the Sun lockouts.

Archived