Mark Reynolds is a Tease Someone Else Can Deal With

brianod

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey! He might do bone-headed things in the field. He may even strike out with 2 on and 1 out, but never the less... Mark Reynolds is still The Sheriff and can't nobody take that away. I'm glad he's an Oriole and I'm the ultimate Sheriff Apologist!

I am sorry, this is a bit much. There isn't really a bunch of evidence that Reynolds' baseball IQ is a problem. If you think so, you obviously weren't here when Jeff Stone was here. :eektf:

I don't think it is a bit much. I agree with the thread. I haven't coached baseball, but I have coached other sports. I have had players that just seemed to have a feel for the game and just used their smarts to improve their game. I also coached players that just didn't seem to get it. Some of them were talented players, but were limited because they lacked the IQ for that sport. I could see it during games with my players and I could many times tell which players on the other teams had the smarts for the game and which ones did not. After watching baseball for years, one should be able to see which players have a baseball IQ and which ones do not. I can see it in how they play the game.

After watching Reynolds for the last two years, there are many times that you can see Reynolds not making adjustments to the situations that other players do. He makes very few smart adjustments at the plate based on the game situation and the strike count. Many times he just seems to not have an awareness of what is happening around him on the field. He sometimes forgets the number of outs in the inning.

So I think that Reynolds has made it to the majors by his talent, but is limited by his baseball IQ.

I don't think it is a bit much. I agree with the thread. I haven't coached baseball, but I have coached other sports. I have had players that just seemed to have a feel for the game and just used their smarts to improve their game. I also coached players that just didn't seem to get it. Some of them were talented players, but were limited because they lacked the IQ for that sport. I could see it during games with my players and I could many times tell which players on the other teams had the smarts for the game and which ones did not. After watching baseball for years, one should be able to see which players have a baseball IQ and which ones do not. I can see it in how they play the game.

After watching Reynolds for the last two years, there are many times that you can see Reynolds not making adjustments to the situations that other players do. He makes very few smart adjustments at the plate based on the game situation and the strike count. Many times he just seems to not have an awareness of what is happening around him on the field. He sometimes forgets the number of outs in the inning.

So I think that Reynolds has made it to the majors by his talent, but is limited by his baseball IQ.

Careful. You're only allowed to share your thoughts on the team if they are positive. Otherwise, you'll get pummeled on here. Oh, and you'll be told that 111 games at first base isn't enough to realize you're not supposed to plow over the second baseman when he's catching a popup at his position.

Careful. You're only allowed to share your thoughts on the team if they are positive. Otherwise, you'll get pummeled on here. Oh, and you'll be told that 111 games at first base isn't enough to realize you're not supposed to plow over the second baseman when he's catching a popup at his position.

Nothing you just said could be described as other-than-ridiculous. Maybe if the words were split up and re-ordered to express different ideas...but, as presently constituted, the above is worthy of a Billy Madison reference.

In my opinion, the play last night was Betemit's fault. He threw to 1B and didn't return to 3B right away. Desmond saw that and decided to go for 3B (he said so in the paper), and Reynolds had to try to throw to a moving target. Not a great throw, but the mental error was on Betemit, not Reynolds.

Nothing you just said could be described as other-than-ridiculous. Maybe if the words were split up and re-ordered to express different ideas...but, as presently constituted, the above is worthy of a Billy Madison reference.

Yeah, I thought it was pretty ridiculous myself, that whole thing about 111 games not being enough to know you're not supposed to run over the second baseman. That was pretty ridiculous.

In my opinion, the play last night was Betemit's fault. He threw to 1B and didn't return to 3B right away. Desmond saw that and decided to go for 3B (he said so in the paper), and Reynolds had to try to throw to a moving target. Not a great throw, but the mental error was on Betemit, not Reynolds.

Reynolds had to have an awareness of the fact that there were 2 outs with our best starter on the mound. He had to understand there was no need to throw to a moving target at all... or, Baseball IQ.

Yeah, I thought it was pretty ridiculous myself, that whole thing about 111 games not being enough to know you're not supposed to run over the second baseman. That was pretty ridiculous.

You're being obnoxious. There are ways to disagree or disapprove without sounding like a petulant pre-teen.

Expect your pummeling by dawn on the fifth day - look to the east.

And this response wasn't obnoxious? Puhleeeeeease.....

Archived