JJ needs to be moved down in the order

zero1

How can one justify having a guy batting 2nd in the line up with a an OBP of .284?

He's a great defensive player and has good power but he just can't get on base. Move him down somewhere in the 5-7 range and replace him with just about anybody so Chris Davis and Adam Jones can get have more chances to knock some runs in.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
How can one justify having a guy batting 2nd in the line up with a an OBP of .284?

He's a great defensive player and has good power but he just can't get on base. Move him down somewhere in the 5-7 range and replace him with just about anybody so Chris Davis and Adam Jones can get have more chances to knock some runs in.

JJ is terrible number two hitter and I'm not sure why Buck continues to bat him there. He is not a good situational hitter, he does not hit the ball the other way well, he does not bunt well, and you already posted his Tony Batisita-like OBP. He should be batting 7th or 8th. He's a good player because his defense is fantastic and he has a little pop, but he's not a number two hitter.

Absolutely. I hope that's what Buck has in mind when Nick returns. I'd like to see 1. Roberts 2. Markakis 3. Davis 4. Jones 5. Wieters 6. Hardy.

At least until Davis proves he can't hit in the 3 spot. If that happens, I'd go with 1. Roberts 2. Markakis 3. Wieters 4. Jones 5. Hardy 6. Davis.

Also, the Mets announcers said during his final at bat that he lead the league in double plays.

So, the #2 hitter on the team has a .284 OBP while leading the league in double plays, yikes.

The good thing about the internet is that we can look these things up ourselves, and we don't have to take the word of the Mets announcers. Joe Mauer leads the league in double plays, with 14. Hardy and three others (Jeter, Y.Escobar, and Miguel Cabrera) are tied for second with 12.

Alfonso Soriano would look great in that 2 hole!!! Reimold would be a great fill there as well. I just don't know who else the O's could put there. The rest of the line up is not hitting either.The bats will come alive!!!

Alfonso Soriano would look great in that 2 hole!!! Reimold would be a great fill there as well. I just don't know who else the O's could put there. The rest of the line up is not hitting either.The bats will come alive!!!

Soriano has a .315 OBP, and while that may be great while comparing it to other players on this team, its piss poor OBP.

What weed are you smoking? Have you ever watched him flail at a breaking pitch?

I agree with the earlier suggestion of Reynolds.

This. Hardy doesn't have consistent enough ABs to bat high in the order. (If we're operating under the idea that this sort of thing matters). Right now, I'd go Avery/Andino, Nick, Jones, Wieters then, I guess, Hardy. Though ideally, Hardy would be 6-7 in a line-up.
It's because it's tied to his BA (which is tied to his BABIP). His BB% is never going to get much over 7 (it's at 6 this year). Frankly, wanting more OBP from him is asking too much - in a better line-up, he bats six or seven and you appreciate his pretty good pop and .750-.800 OPS.
Neither player is going to learn patience at this point. They're great 6-7-8 hitters on a decent team, with above average production for their position. But they're not reliable in the way that good teams have reliable middle-of-the-order guys. That's high-probability hitters. Solid-OBP/solid-power guys. I'd be happy if we had enough production that we could bat Jones/Reynolds/Hardy at 6-7-8.

I tend to agree. I think Hardy will get hot again, but we won't have a line-up I'm happy with until there's enough pop and talent that Hardy is batting 6-7-8.*

*I may have been wrong about Jones. ;)

Archived