Prediction: Matusz and Arrieta will be traded before July 31st.

Flacco Machado

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I remember back in the day, there was a thread on here where ppl would NOT trade

Matusz straight up for MCab (not a joke)

LOL. I wanted MCab bad. Guy never gets enough credit. Off-the-field aside, he is one of the best hitters of the past decade.

The problem with trading Matusz or Arrieta is that your unlikely to get any kind of value for them. Basically your selling at their low value. The smarter move is to keep them at this point and have them continue to work at AAA. Despite the one bad start after a layoff over the allstar break, I like what I see from Tillman to this point. I get there are no guarantees but if the O's work with them and even one of the two gets straightened out, the eventual trade value of that guy might be far greater than what you could get now for both of them. Just my opinion.

The problem with trading Matusz or Arrieta is that your unlikely to get any kind of value for them. Basically your selling at their low value. The smarter move is to keep them at this point and have them continue to work at AAA. Despite the one bad start after a layoff over the allstar break, I like what I see from Tillman to this point. I get there are no guarantees but if the O's work with them and even one of the two gets straightened out, the eventual trade value of that guy might be far greater than what you could get now for both of them. Just my opinion.

Agreed. I think that if DD has a chance to get a big time impact player, he may deal one of them. I do think that they would have to be the main piece in the deal though. He is not going to use these two arms as a "filler".

Agreed. I think that if DD has a chance to get a big time impact player, he may deal one of them. I do think that they would have to be the main piece in the deal though. He is not going to use these two arms as a "filler".

They're most likely not going to be center-pieces in a deal either. Best simply to hold on to them. Don't sell-low, simple as that. Matusz and Arrieta worst case would be really good relievers for us, and we'll probably get more value out of them as such then we would through a trade at this point.

To be fair, that was on the heels of his DUI debacle. He wasn't a really stable commodity.

Not only that, but Matusz was coming off a good season and was under team control at well below-market prices for years to come, while Cabrera is making $20M a year. A team in the O's position can't trade young, cheap, good talent for $20M veterans and expect to compete with teams having twice their resources.

Hell if I know, but I'd still be making that call.

"Hey, I know Trout is probably the most valuable commodity in baseball right now, nearly priceless as a 20-year-old MVP candidate, but what's it gonna take for me to pry him loose? I got some guys in AA and A-ball you may have heard of. I know they don't help you in the little pennant race you're in now, but just think of 2014! No reason to go for it today when you can delay gratification for two+ years!"

I'd trade Jones and Wieters for Trout.

But I'm sure I'm in the minority.

I'm sure that's a defensible trade. The issue is that nobody ever trades 20-year-old superstars!! There have been 10 players in all history who've been worth 6.0+ rWAR at the age of 20. Every single one of them stayed with their team for a very long time. Guys like Trout (and Cobb, Mantle, Griffey, Williams, Ott, Kaline) are what everyone spends their whole lives trying to find. When you get one, you keep them.

Archived