Miguel Gonzalez Tonight

OFFNY

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

With Hunter, Matusz, and recent casualty Jake Arrieta now in the minors, the focus beams on Miguel Gonzalez. A little background on Miguel that may be bitter-sweet:

• Miguel's middle name is Angel and is from Guadalajara, Mexico.
  • He was originally signed by the Los Angeles Angels as a rookie free agent in 2005
  • He was selected by the Red Sox in the 2008 Rule 5 draft
  • In 2009, he underwent Tommy John surgery and missed the entire season.
  • From 2010-2011, he spent time in Boston's minor league system amassing the following statistics:
  • 2010 [A+]: 73 1/2 IP, 4.54 ERA, 1.364 WHIP, 5.8 SO/9, 2.2 BB/9, 0.6 HR/9, 10.1 H/9
  • 2011 [A+]: 5 IP, 1.80 ERA, 1.400 WHIP, 7.2 SO/9, 3.6 BB/9, 0.0 HR/9, 9.0 H/9
  • 2011 [AA]: 46 2/3 IP, 6.17 ERA, 1.586 WHIP, 8.7 SO/9, 3.7 BB/9, 0.8 HR/9, 10.6 H/9
  • 2011 [AAA]: 5 IP, 1.80 ERA, 0.800 WHIP, 9.0 SO/9, 3.6 BB/9, 1.8 HR/9, 3.6 H/9
  • Miguel signed a minor league deal with the Orioles on March 2, 2012, and put up very good numbers in AAA: 44 2/3 IP, 1.61 ERA, 0.716 WHIP, 10.7 SO/9, 2.0 BB/9, 0.2 HR/9, 4.4 H/9
  • Other Mexican players that were/are Orioles at some point of 2012: Dennys Reyes, Luis Ayala, and Oscar Villarreal
  • He turned 28 on May 27th

He may be another case of a pitcher that comes back stronger after undergoing Tommy John surgery. Prior to the surgery, he was a very good pitcher for the Angels amassing the following statistics:

• 2005 [Rk, A, A+]: 52 2/3 IP, 1.082 WHIP, 3.93 ERA
  • 2006 [A+, AA]: 79 IP, 0.967 WHIP, 3.16 ERA
  • 2007 [AA]: 130 2/3 IP, 1.301 WHIP, 3.38 ERA

I'm really pulling for Miguel. If he can go 5-6IP, I'll be ecstatic, as it'll be the first step forward to him becoming a fixture in the Orioles rotation. He's been very impressive in his 3 outings with the Baltimore Orioles this season:

• May 29th against the Blue Jays - 3 1/2 IP, 5 SO, 1 ER, 4 H, 0 BB
  • June 7th against the Red Sox - 4 IP, 2 SO, 1 ER, 2 H, 2 BB
  • July 1st against the Indians - 4 1/3 IP, 5 SO, 1 ER, 4 H, 3 BB

He'll have 5 days rest between his last start and tonight.

Go get 'em, Miguel!

My hope is that Gonzalez is our new Rodrigo Lopez. Hopefully the Orioles can bottle up a little more Mexican magic. They desperately need another solid starter and even if he's only a six inning starter, as long as he's consistent he'll be a huge help.

MODS: Can we merge this with Gonzalez' original major league thread? That thread was started in Gonzalez' major league debut, and has mostly major league statistics and comments, but was sent to the minor league section when he was demoted to AAA for a few starts. Thanks.

http://forum.orioleshangout.com/forums/showthread.php/121760-Miguel-Gonzalez-Tonight?highlight=Miguel+Gonzalez

MIGUEL GONZALEZ O(vs. ANGELS 7/06)

IP:O 0

H:o. 0

R:O. 0

BB:. 0

SO:. 0

Pitches: 000 (00 Strikes, 00 Balls)

2012 ERA: 2.31

We don't need Miguel to be great. We need him to be a #4/5 starter, and hope that Tillman or somene else can turn into our #3 arm.

Yup.

I'm actually fairly confident in Miguel Gonzalez. I love his delivery. Clean. Throws strikes. Doesn't get rattled. He's no spring chicken, but he knows success.

I can see him being a reliable #4/#5, i.e. if he can go 5-6IP with the occasional 7IP while keeping us in the game (2-4 runs), that'd be great.

Yup.

I'm actually fairly confident in Miguel Gonzalez. I love his delivery. Clean. Throws strikes. Doesn't get rattled. He's no spring chicken, but he knows success.

I can see him being a reliable #4/#5, i.e. if he can go 5-6IP with the occasional 7IP while keeping us in the game (2-4 runs), that'd be great.

He's no spring chicken? He turned 28 two months ago! :-)

I am not very confident that he is going to be a solid major league pitcher, but I wish him the best.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

My hope is that Gonzalez is our new Rodrigo Lopez. Hopefully the Orioles can bottle up a little more Mexican magic. They desperately need another solid starter and even if he's only a six inning starter, as long as he's consistent he'll be a huge help.

Rodrigo would be nice....I'd even settle for Alfredo Simon (who also came from the Mexican League).........maybe that's our Dominican ;)

ANGELS O(July 6th) *

Mike Trout - CF

Torii Hunter - RF

Albert Pujols - 1B

Kendrys Morales - DH

Mark Trumbo - LF

Alberto Callaspo - 3B

Howard Kendrick - 2B

Erick Aybar - SS

John Hester - C

* Although Gonzalez has already pitched 3 games in the major leagues earlier this season, this is his major league debut as a starting pitcher.

http://baseballpress.com/lineup.php

Archived