Miguel Gonzalez Tonight

OFFNY

...but I've been pleased with Miguel Gonzalez. His numbers are solid, but his BB-rate could be better. 7.55 K/9 in 31IP, along with a 4.06BB/9.

Good for a 4.5 FIP with a low ERA (for now).

4th starter type of stuff, and he's been able to get some quality starts. Good to see some stability coming up from the minors to fill in some of these rotation question marks.

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply
...but I've been pleased with Miguel Gonzalez. His numbers are solid, but his BB-rate could be better. 7.55 K/9 in 31IP, along with a 4.06BB/9.

Good for a 4.5 FIP with a low ERA (for now).

4th starter type of stuff, and he's been able to get some quality starts. Good to see some stability coming up from the minors to fill in some of these rotation question marks.

Also, I really like his demeanor out on the mound. He seems to stay very focused and even keeled. Something this rotation desperately needs

Seven out of Josh Tower's first 8 starts for the O's were very, very good. Later he went on to pitch one truncated and one full season for the Blue Jays that the O's would love to squeeze out of any of the surviving cavalry. In fact, his performance in 2005 at the age of 28--208.67 IP at a 3.71 ERA--would make him a very solid #3 behind Hammel and Chen. He was a junkballer but not a nibbler: his walk totals were very low.

Even if Gonzalez ends up no more than the one-season overachiever that Jose Mercedes was in 2000, the O's would be very thankful to have found him.

MIGUEL GONZALEZ (vs. YANKEES 7/30)

IP:O 6.67

H:o. 6

R:O. 4

BB:. 0

SO:. 6

Pitches: 111 (72 Strikes, 39 Balls)

2012 ERA: 4.46

1st 4 INNINGS: 61 Pitches

5th INNING:OO 16 Pitches

6th INNING:OO 17 Pitches

7th INNING: O) 17 Pitches *

* Gonzalez retired 2 batters in the 7th inning before departing.

Need's to cut down on allowing Hr

My oh my, the razor-sharp analysis!

Gonzalez was good today. He had good stuff and solid control throughout. I don't think his FB control is as good as it was hyped to be (of course that's not saying much, because when you get the quote that we did from Ferreira of course his control is going to be overhyped, no one's control is that good...that said, I don't think he's got Jeremy Hellickson type control either) but I think his change/splitter and slider are serviceable pitches (especially the former). I'm okay with him as our BOR starter going forward (including next year, if it works out that way).

Archived