Kevin Gausman has now signed for the Orioles

xian4

To me it seems like he is just a little bit more willing then I like to give up assets. Teagarden, Eveland, Kim, Wada, Chong, Gausman.

Seems to be a pattern of overpayment.

Exactly my point. It's a pattern. Nothing major yet, but I'm scared the pattern will continue in any bigger deals.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The O's could've also taken advantage of this by offering that savings to the 5th round or 15th round picks, and then told Gausman that they only had the slot amount to pay him.

Neither of those choices were available for the money that the Orioles could have spent. They both wanted half a million and Poche is said to have doubled his asking price. Gausman cost what the first pitcher drafted would need to cost. This was not a Hobgood choice.

Neither of those choices were available for the money that the Orioles could have spent. They both wanted half a million and Poche is said to have doubled his asking price. Gausman cost what the first pitcher drafted would need to cost. This was not a Hobgood choice.

15th pick wanted 500K, if the O's had been willing to pay the 5% overage penalty they could have afforded him if Gausman had signed for slot.

Glad you're here to dispel some of this (really) presumptuous thinking.

How is my thinking "presumptuous"? If Gausman signed for slot then there was money to sign the #15 pick.

I thought slot was 4.2M? I might be wrong, I just thought I read that here. He signed for 132k over that, right? If the 15th pick wanted upwards of 500k, we still wouldn't have enough money, even if Gausman signed for slot, no? If I'm wrong about slot being 4.2M, please disregard.

I thought slot was 4.2M? I might be wrong, I just thought I read that here. He signed for 132k over that, right? If the 15th pick wanted upwards of 500k, we still wouldn't have enough money, even if Gausman signed for slot, no? If I'm wrong about slot being 4.2M, please disregard.

132K + 100K for 15th pick + 5% overage.

It could have been done, they just would have had to pay the tax.

132K + 100K for 15th pick + 5% overage.

It could have been done, they just would have had to pay the tax.

There's just wayyy too many contingencies involved to be criticizing/second-guessing, IMO. And as for the presumptuous thinking I was also referring to DD's supposed pattern of overspending or bad poker face.

15th pick wanted 500K, if the O's had been willing to pay the 5% overage penalty they could have afforded him if Gausman had signed for slot.

The 500k carried a 300k penalty. The Orioles did not see him at that level.

So they could have signed him for 232k, and paid a 5% overage on the entire cost of the draft?

Their total budget was 6.2 million if I recall correctly so they could have gone 310K over budget before giving up a draft pick. Would have been a 268K overage that they would have been taxed on.

So they could have signed him for 232k, and paid a 5% overage on the entire cost of the draft?

Right...it just doesn't make that much sense and from there I get to my idea that it especially doesn't make much sense to be criticizing them for not doing so.

Archived