Kevin Gausman has now signed for the Orioles

xian4

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Right...it just doesn't make that much sense and from there I get to my idea that it especially doesn't make much sense to be criticizing them for not doing so.

I would rather they spend it on the draft then on the caliber of players in Korea they are attempting to throw money at.

Or, as another option, they could have held firm at 4 million for Gausman then only had a 68K overage.

Do you think Gausman would have left 4 million on the table?

Probably not. I guess we will never know. I am just sorry we did not sign Ryan Ripken. There is a difference maker.

I would rather they spend it on the draft then on the caliber of players in Korea they are attempting to throw money at.

They attempted to throw money at the kid from Korea (I honestly can't even recall his name w/o looking it up, that whole scandal bores me so) about the same way they attempted to throw money at a 15th round pick named Derrick Velazquez. Neither actually happened...

I'd rather spend an extra 132K on a blue-chip talent with a legitimate chance at making it to the bigs to ensure he signs than not spend it and try to put that money towards a half-assed, half-baked, and possibly unsuccessful attempt at a top100 talent (Velazquez) who we might well have another shot at anyways.

Even though we did sign Kevin Gausman in the end, I have a feeling that the O's negotiating team did not have a great week.

As I need to continue to state, Kevin Gausman was the number 1 pitcher taken in the draft and he had very good leverage as a draft eligible sophomore. I expect him to move fast through the system.

They attempted to throw money at the kid from Korea (I honestly can't even recall his name w/o looking it up, that whole scandal bores me so) about the same way they attempted to throw money at a 15th round pick named Derrick Velazquez. Neither actually happened...

I'd rather spend an extra 132K on a blue-chip talent with a legitimate chance at making it to the bigs to ensure he signs than not spend it and try to put that money towards a half-assed, half-baked, and possibly unsuccessful attempt at a top100 talent (Velazquez) who we might well have another shot at anyways.

I wasn't just talking about Kim.

This organization is still desperately thin after their top 5 draft picks. They could have used a top 100 talent. They could use a dozen top 100 talents.

As I need to continue to state, Kevin Gausman was the number 1 pitcher taken in the draft and he had very good leverage as a draft eligible sophomore. I expect him to move fast through the system.

Hey, I'm not disappointed, I would have picked him over Appel anyway, but I did find it amusing when Kevin Gausman disappeared up a mountain this week. I think we are going to enjoy having him around the place.

Disappointed we didn't have money left for Poche and Velazquez, but when we look back at this draft in 5 years, the issue that will matter is whether Gausman turned into a solid major league starter or not. The rest will be footnotes.

I think most teams had Appel over him. Risk reward for him it made no sense for him to go back to school with 4 million on the table. I think what happened is when #5 turned them down they just shrugged and gave the surplus to Gausman.

Archived