Possible Cubs/O's trade brewing?

Dark Helmet

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mark Bowman of MLB.com has confirmed that Cubs righty Ryan Dempster is being dealt to the Braves.

Bowman is "hearing" that Randall Delgado will be sent to Chicago in return, but it sounds like talks are ongoing in regards to that piece of the puzzle. Dempster, 35, has posted a 2.11 ERA and 77/27 K/BB ratio in 98 innings (15 starts) this season for the last-place Cubs. His contract includes a no-trade clause but he was probably more than willing to join a contender like the Braves.

Source: Mark Bowman on Twitter Jul 23 - 2:10 PM

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/mlb/2584/ryan-dempster

OK stats guys, I was looking at Dempster's stats and I noticed that at the age of 35 (well on the downside of an average starter's career) he currently has the lowest era of his career, the lowest FIP of his career, the lowest w/9 of his career, the best lob% of his career, lowest BABIP of his career, the lowest HR/FB since 06, and he's throwing more sliders and splitters combined than fastballs. Is he likely to keep this up? What do you think? His splits in 2006/2007 were bad at the end of the season, but since then they didn't look horrible. In the AL, at Camden, could he have continued this way....

The trade that involved the Orioles was the product of a vibrant imagination. In my opinion.

Too good to be true:) I am hearing Brob and Reynolds for Yu Darvish and Josh Hamilton:)

Always fun to hear rumors though. I hope the O's do something smart.

The trade that involved the Orioles was the product of a vibrant imagination. In my opinion.

Or a ploy to get Atlanta to bite. Strange it goes down the very next day. Oh well. Id stand pat with the rotation we have now. Saunders, Vargas , or Richards isn't upgrading enough over what we have enough to improve us or to reason giving up anything for. And Garza is going to cost more then we can afford to give up and he's probably Dodger bound anyhow. Headley isn't worth giving prospects up for if were not going to improve the rotation.

If this trade actually goes through it would be a nice get for the Cubs. Delgado ranks in the 45-50 range as a prospect, that is like us giving up Schoop for Dempster. Personally I don't think I would pull the trigger on that. Same goes for Garza being traded for Zach Lee. I guess it depends on what prospects go along with Lee to Chicago. I would probably trade Schoop and say and a Glynn Davis/Parker Bridwell type but that is really about it. I do agree that Saunders or Vargas are not enough of a upgrade to risk giving prospects up for. If we add a Grienke, Sanchez type then add say a Richard or Vargas I'm on board with that. I read today that the Indians may consider offers for Shin-Soo Choo. Depending on what it would take to land him I would be very interested in him. I know he is 30 but he is .300 career hitter and has a hose for a arm. I am not sure how the Tribe value him but what doe's everyone think it would take to land him, and would it be worth it?

Totally agree... this is pure garbage.

It doesn't do anything to help the team in 2013-2014

This is very narrow minded thinking IMO. It's a trade that helps us THIS year, and by helping us THIS YEAR, we are indirectly helping us in 2013-14 and beyond. If we make the playoffs this year, it'll be that much easier to get free agents to sign here. It'll brighten the outlook to fans here and nationally.

To say it's trash makes me laugh. Most people on this board have dogged Flaherty and Reynolds all year, and Strop has been very shaky at times- tho I do like him. To me, it's basically a decent bullpen arm for a very good starter- which we HEAVILY need right now. It's a no brainer IMO... but I can't see how the Cubs would agree to it.

I seriously doubt we pick up Reynolds contract option for next year, and he is very replaceable on the bench... and I think Chris Davis defense is every bit as good as his, if not better. So where again is the loss??

Archived