Possible Cubs/O's trade brewing?

Dark Helmet

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
In what universe is getting Dempster during a playoff run a terrible idea? I swear, I don't understand this attitude. It's been 15 years since we were in a real playoff race. At what point do people start supporting the team we have now instead of whining about some future that may never materialize?

You have to think about next year all the time? Because we are a flawed team? Because an aggressive trade would kill our future...I mean Flaherty and Reynolds...we can't get rid of them.

Actually, I am not sure, it seems like a good deal to me, one that won't happen, but a good trade nonetheless.

I'm calling shenanigans on this one...

No reason the cubs would take Reynolds unless they're doing favors, which I doubt very much.

Plus, I like the idea of holding on to Strop and trying him out at closer next year so JJohnson can move to the rotation ;)

Deal is basically Reynolds for Soriano & Dumpster rental for Flaherty & Strop

Again ...Dumb trade for the Orioles.

And another poor defensive player with a team that needs to subtract poor fielders not add.

So, for sake of argument, let's call Reynolds and Soriano a wash defensively. I feel like that's fair. Then it boils down to who's bat do you want more? Money aside, I'd probably go with Soriano (especially if that bat was coming over in this trade). In the end, we're not better defensively, sure...but the team is certainly better, in my opinion.

We have not been in contention this late in years. There are now two wild card spots available. I wil be upset if we don't try. It can certainly be argued that our record is a little flukey. This trade is great because it sets us up for a run and doesn't mortgage the future. Strop has had a nice season but I really believe that his motion is going to cause him to flame out. Reynolds and Flaherty are not cornerstones. Soriano would be an albatross, but again, when will we have another opportunity like this? Heck, at least he would bring some playoff experience were we to be so lucky. I think this deal makes a whole lot of sense for us, but would be surprised if it happens.

Deal is basically Reynolds for Soriano & Dumpster rental for Flaherty & Strop

Again ...Dumb trade for the Orioles.

What if a Dempster rental gives us a 2.30 ERA and wins down the stretch? What if we win a wild card and in the wild card Dempster pitches a gem? What if....?

I would be jumping up and down..this has to be a joke..no way its CLOSE to possible.Dempster may be the most coveted SP out there and Soriano is having a good year..we dont give up anything.

Soriano is hitting a few homers. Big deal... Reynolds could put up a few months like that without breaking a sweat. He's still atrocious in LF meaning that we'd actually be DOWNgrading by putting him there instead of Chris Davis. Any thoughts of him DHing full time are out the window because of Thome. Unless you think they should platoon... so the Orioles top 2 offensive acquisitions in 2012 are platooning DH's?

As for not giving up anything, Flaherty and Strop are the only 2 pieces in this deal that have any value in 2014. Strop has potential to be a very good bullpen arm and Flaherty... well he'll be better than Soriano in 2014. This deal would essentially be trading future pieces for mediocre help this year.

No thanks

I'm not saying you're wrong, but how is he 'trash'? He'd come in and be the team leader in RBI's, be top 5 in runs, ops, slugging, average, HR, and WAR. He has no errors and has above average UZR. Now, I'm no fan, but I really can't see how this guy is trash. Before you jump on me or call me stupid, I want to be clear that this is an honest question. To the average (me), I really can't see why trading for him, assuming most of his contract was paid by the cubs, is a bad thing...especially considering Reynolds is going to get expensive next year if he's still around.

I assume if the deal is real the Cubs would swap his salary for Reynolds and his salary. I'd take him if I needed a DH ... The Orioles have like six Dhs as it is (I kid)... But the Orioles need players that can hit and play good defense also. Their luck getting by with shoddy defense so far ...But their luck will eventually run out.

Soriano is hitting a few homers. Big deal... Reynolds could put up a few months like that without breaking a sweat. He's still atrocious in LF meaning that we'd actually be DOWNgrading by putting him there instead of Chris Davis. Any thoughts of him DHing full time are out the window because of Thome. Unless you think they should platoon... so the Orioles top 2 offensive acquisitions in 2012 are platooning DH's?

As for not giving up anything, Flaherty and Strop are the only 2 pieces in this deal that have any value in 2014. Strop has potential to be a very good bullpen arm and Flaherty... well he'll be better than Soriano in 2014. This deal would essentially be trading future pieces for mediocre help this year.

No thanks

And Davis was pretty shoddy at 1B on several occasions....Reynolds seems to have settled in defensively at 1B.

forrestgumpy.jpg

I presume this is some reference to "stupid is as stupid does". Still don't know what DD's done that is stupid. The Guthrie / Hammel trade? Signing Ayala and Chen? Basically putting together the core pieces of the Red Sox resurgence in the 2000s?

Archived