vs. TAMPA BAY RAYS 7/26

OFFNY

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Tillman's getting a lot of the plate with his fastball this inning.

FB command has been sketchy all day. Really positive sign he's still finding a way to get it done, though he has had some nice luck/defense.

EDIT: Another ball right down the middle on a 2-1 count that he only gets away with because of increased velocity. More velocity= more margin for error. And now a K, 95.

FB command has been sketchy all day. Really positive sign he's still finding a way to get it done, though he has had some nice luck/defense.

Should've prefaced my comment with the disclaimer that I just started watching. I dunno about a positive sign, while I always like being up, I'd feel better about our chances of holding this lead if he wasn't pumping fastballs down the middle. Hitter's will figure out how to hit it eventually......finally there's one on the corner.

Should've prefaced my comment with the disclaimer that I just started watching. I dunno about a positive sign, while I always like being up, I'd feel better about our chances of holding this lead if he wasn't pumping fastballs down the middle. Hitter's will figure out how to hit it eventually......finally there's one on the corner.

As I've been noting throughout this thread, it helps when that FB down the middle is 93-95. (He's made 3 really bad FB pitches down the middle today-- one was a 94 MPH that Joyce swung through, another was the 94 MPH double to Upton, and another was a 93 MPH that Zobrist fouled back with a good cut) But I meant it's a good sign in that he's been making the needed adjustment and throwing a lot of his off-speed stuff, especially incorporating a slider we've seen very little of until today. I wouldn't say it's a good sign if he had just been pumping 93 MPH heat down the middle all day--because he hasn't--he's made the needed adjustment although his FB command has not been there all day (nor has the velocity, at times).

Maybe. The CU is keeping them from totally being locked in on the FB, though. Nice to see him battle back after giving up the double.

As I've been noting throughout this thread, it helps when that FB down the middle is 93-95. (He's made 3 really bad FB pitches down the middle today-- one was a 94 MPH that Joyce swung through, another was the 94 MPH double to Upton, and another was a 93 MPH that Zobrist fouled back with a good cut) But I meant it's a good sign in that he's been making the needed adjustment and throwing a lot of his off-speed stuff, especially incorporating a slider we've seen very little of until today. I wouldn't say it's a good sign if he had just been pumping 93 MPH heat down the middle all day--because he hasn't--he's made the needed adjustment although his FB command has not been there all day (nor has the velocity, at times).

Oh, don't get me wrong, I'm not making a statement about what I think about Tillman in general, I'm actually a big fan of his. I was just commenting on how I feel when watching games like this, spotty FB command, pitches down the middle that are fouled off or popped up to outfielders. When I watch outings like that I can't help but think that every pitch is going to start a hit parade that sees our lead disappear.

Tampa is playing without Longoria and even with him they're 11th in the AL in runs scored 12th in avg and 10th in OBP, and almost dead last in slugging. Tillman is basically pitching to the Orioles with a little less power so it's nice that he's still able to put up 0s.

Archived