Larry Bigbie is a MAJOR RAT!

blueberryale77

It's not about whether they guessed right and he actually did do steroids, it's about whether it was right for them to include him in the list based on very, very limited and unsubstantiated information. That's what I have a problem with. I haven't read the entire report yet, but I'd imagine there are other players listed for whom Mitchell didn't meet a reasonable burden of proof. That's wrong. The only reason to do that is to add salaciousness. The focus should have been on the distribution networks and how to stop steroid use, not "this guy says that guy said he did it once." Yes, I'm more mad about this because it involves Brian Roberts, but it's dead wrong no matter who they did it to.

He doesn't need a reasonable burden of proof. It's a REPORT! I feel like I'm taking crazy pills here!

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I was piling on the sarcasm in addition to LJ's response to blueberry's hypothetical "this is how it probably happened" post.

Witchy

I know you were. And my post also reflected how ridiculous this witch hunt is when we should be worrying more about more important things, like national security. And I'm all for torturing terrorists ;)

I agree. Bigbie was asked for his testimony. It's better to tell the truth than to lie.

I'd guess that whatever Brob took helped with his sudden power surge. And, that would explain why he doesn't hit HR anymore. Even without power, he's a tremendous player, and I'm still a fan. I'm disappointed, especially given his pre-existing medical problems, but hopefully he has gotten smarter about this.

Its better to burn out than fade away! Live for the big bucks.

That's all the more reason for him to try really hard to "remember" something about someone the investigators wanted information on. He said that Roberts wasn't present when Segui bought steroids. He said that Roberts didn't participate when he and Segui did steroids in their apartment. Then he finally cracks and says he never thought Roberts did anything but he did admit to it once or twice. It sure sounds to me like a classic case of a suspect telling the authorities what he thinks they want to hear so they'll get off his case. Mitchell's people had every opportunity to further investigate the allegations in order to find proof (sorry, but Larry Bigbie's word does NOT equal proof). I'm not saying Roberts never did steroids. I'm not saying they wouldn't be justified in continuing to investigate whether he bought any. But to include him in the report and have his name read aloud on every sports radio station in the country along with guys who were heavy duty steroid users for years with no distinctions without more than Larry Bigbie saying that he said he tried it a couple of times is irresponsible.

It's not about whether they guessed right and he actually did do steroids, it's about whether it was right for them to include him in the list based on very, very limited and unsubstantiated information. That's what I have a problem with. I haven't read the entire report yet, but I'd imagine there are other players listed for whom Mitchell didn't meet a reasonable burden of proof. That's wrong. The only reason to do that is to add salaciousness. The focus should have been on the distribution networks and how to stop steroid use, not "this guy says that guy said he did it once." Yes, I'm more mad about this because it involves Brian Roberts, but it's dead wrong no matter who they did it to.

Oh give me a freaking break! He was being interrogated and offered information. If you honestly think he was trying to tell these people "what they wanted to hear" than I believe you've slightly lost your marbles on this issue.

You think people were really out to get Brian Roberts? You think the people asking Bigbie questions were doing so with the sole purpose of incriminating the Orioles' second-baseman?

It's quite simple: Bigbie was asked what he knew. He offered that Roberts had said he did roids a few times. If anything, Bigbie may have been trying to SAVE BRob's credibility by adding the unnecessary bit about how he wouldn't have suspected him doing that stuff.

What happened in 2005?

Palmerio and the beginning of the questions. You think he might of stopped when he heard about Palmerio. Whatever happened his power dropped.

If that is your damning evidence, was Roger Maris on steroids? Come on, be realistic. I'm not saying Roberts wasn't on steroids, in fact, I think he was, but your suggestion that one month of power in 2005 is evidence, you are severely mistaken.

Its not like he found out Palmeiro tested positive, then he stopped taking them and the next week he was weak. It doesnt work like that.

He said that Roberts wasn't present when Segui bought steroids. He said that Roberts didn't participate when he and Segui did steroids in their apartment. Then he finally cracks and says he never thought Roberts did anything but he did admit to it once or twice.
You are really assuming and insinuating things here that you know nothing about. You know he remembered easily that Roberts wasn't there when he and Segui did steroids. But he had to be poked and prodded to remember a conversation he had with Roberts.

You are very, very clearly trying to spin this to make your favorite player look better. Just let it go, and admit it for what it is, pretty much nothing.

He doesn't need a reasonable burden of proof. It's a REPORT! I feel like I'm taking crazy pills here!

But the media has hyped this report to the point that it will be taken as the final word on steroids in baseball. It's kin of like the Warren Commission. It was a report on how JFK died. For the most part, other than some crack pot theorists, it is completely taken as the truth. Same thing for the 9/11 Commission. The report is taken as an end all to the issues. It's just bad how many accusations are founded in this report with little merit other than one person's word against the other.

If that is your damning evidence, was Roger Maris on steroids? Come on, be realistic. I'm not saying Roberts wasn't on steroids, in fact, I think he was, but your suggestion that one month of power in 2005 is evidence, you are severely mistaken.

Its not like he found out Palmeiro tested positive, then he stopped taking them and the next week he was weak. It doesnt work like that.

Naive. Tejadas B-12 butt shot sure turned Palmerio's season around in late April\early May.

Then after his positive test. Back to the floor.

ESPN just used the Roberts scenerio as an example of "heresay" tarnishing a players name.
Again, Bigbie telling Mitchell what Roberts said is not hearsay. If he told Mitchell that Miggy told him that Roberts had asked for steroids, that would be hearsay.

Archived