Larry Bigbie is a MAJOR RAT!

blueberryale77

Why would he talk? Is there a good reason for him to? Was he given some sort of promise? Or did he do it to because that little Jiminy Cricket on his shoulder wouldn't let him deal with the lies anymore?

Perhaps not... but if he remained quiet about it all this time, it makes you wonder why all of a sudden he would spill his guts to Mitchell.

Yeah, he had a reason to talk. To keep his fans from getting into verbal fistfights over his honor as a ballplayer.

He should come clean and explain himself. Then we'd shut up.

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah it is just a report, but in the end if you just look at the players, you'll see Brian Roberts name and that's it. While there is a lot of information on other players, it seems like there is almost nothing on Roberts at all. All people will care about is that his name is on there. While I believe that Roberts probably did use steroids at some point, I would just like a bit more evidence of that rather than going on what someone else said. I see no reason why Larry Bigbie would lie either...just wish that there was a bit more to it than Roberts telling Bigbie one time that he used steroids.

Why would he talk? Is there a good reason for him to? Was he given some sort of promise? Or did he do it to because that little Jiminy Cricket on his shoulder wouldn't let him deal with the lies anymore?

Perhaps not... but if he remained quiet about it all this time, it makes you wonder why all of a sudden he would spill his guts to Mitchell.

Whatever. It's gone from my mind now. He isn't using today (and arguably since before 2003) so that is all that really matters. I'm out.

why is Bigbie a rat? Roberts shouldn't have done it, bottomline.

I'm actually not surprised by this. I mean how do you explain him hitting more homeruns in 2005 (18) than he did from 2001-2004 (12).

Disappointing...

Since Bigbie's steroids evidence apparently relates to 2003, it's hard to see what that has to do with Brian's uptick in HR's in 2005.

I think Brian's 18 HR's in 2005 were NOT the result of him suddenly taking steroids. It was just one of those fluky things, fueled by 9 HR's in April. If he was on steroids, how come he never hit more than 3 HR's in any other month that year? The effects of steroids don't appear and disappear that fast.

I believe Brian may have used steroids, but his HR total from 2005 is a separate issue.

Yeah it is just a report, but in the end if you just look at the players, you'll see Brian Roberts name and that's it. While there is a lot of information on other players, it seems like there is almost nothing on Roberts at all. All people will care about is that his name is on there. While I believe that Roberts probably did use steroids at some point, I would just like a bit more evidence of that rather than going on what someone else said. I see no reason why Larry Bigbie would lie either...just wish that there was a bit more to it than Roberts telling Bigbie one time that he used steroids.

That's the problem I'm talking about. There should be like this disclaimer about it on every news item etc etc that mentions it: This is a report. Not a list of concrete users of PED's. Read the report for full information about each player mentioned.

You can't read the damn thing like it's Santa's Naughy List, but that's exactly what people want to do because we're such gossip mongers.

Since Bigbie's steroids evidence apparently relates to 2003, it's hard to see what that has to do with Brian's uptick in HR's in 2005.

I think Brian's 18 HR's in 2005 were NOT the result of him suddenly taking steroids. It was just one of those fluky things, fueled by 9 HR's in April. If he was on steroids, how come he never hit more than 3 HR's in any other month that year? The effects of steroids don't appear and disappear that fast.

I believe Brian may have used steroids, but his HR total from 2005 is a separate issue.

I think everyone also forgets that Roberts hits a ton of doubles so you may see his numbers jump some from year to year as some doubles may become HR's.

Not to mention it was also easily correlated to his doubles production and having a flukey half season where he got just a little bit extra on those doubles and they sailed out of the park.

I refuse to believe that every other team in baseball did not have just as many guys using stuff. The only reason the O's figure so prominently in this report is that 1) Larry Bigbie was one of the only players who talked to investigators and 2) David Segui brought his Radomski connection with him on his second stint in Baltimore. Bigbie and Radomski were two of the major sources of information for this report, thus you have a lot of O's. However, had they been able to talk to other suppliers or even other players, I fully believe that every team would have at least 15 guys listed as drug users, if not more.

From the report:

Bigbie has been cooperating with federal authorities in connection with their investigations into the illegal distribution of performance enhancing substances. As part of his cooperation and at the request of federal law enforcement authorities, Bigbie agreed to be interviewed by members of my investigative staff. Federal law enforcement agents were present at the interview and advised him that any false statements made in their presence during the interview could be considered a violation of federal law.

I'm sorry Roberts was named. He's one of my favorite players, and I'll take some consolation in the fact that it doesn't look like he did much of it (Clemens. . .wow). But there's no reason to think Bigbie was lying or just trying to save his own butt, especially in light of the bolded sentence.

why is Bigbie a rat? Roberts shouldn't have done it, bottomline.

I'm actually not surprised by this. I mean how do you explain him hitting more homeruns in 2005 (18) than he did from 2001-2004 (12).

Disappointing...

Well if you go by what Bigbie said, he claims Roberts admitted to using a couple of times in 2003. NOT 2005.

No... not really...

In reading, we are taught to peruse and find guide words that help us find the point of the article. Most people won't read an entire article in a newspaper or on the web; they read the headline and the first paragraph. That is why the inverted pyramid writing style was created.

I don't care about the inverted pyramid writing style, man.

I care about the media creating a god damn circus over this report because of the way they are expounding the names mentioned in it as some sort of Steroid Naughty List. You better not pout, you better not cry, you better not stick that needle in your ass, I'm telling you why. Senator Mitchell is writing A LIIIIIIIIIST!

Holy crap, your post disappeared while I replied! YOU SCOUNDREL!

From the report:

I'm sorry Roberts was named. He's one of my favorite players, and I'll take some consolation in the fact that it doesn't look like he did much of it (Clemens. . .wow). But there's no reason to think Bigbie was lying or just trying to save his own butt, especially in light of the bolded sentence.

I agree. Bigbie was asked for his testimony. It's better to tell the truth than to lie.

I'd guess that whatever Brob took helped with his sudden power surge. And, that would explain why he doesn't hit HR anymore. Even without power, he's a tremendous player, and I'm still a fan. I'm disappointed, especially given his pre-existing medical problems, but hopefully he has gotten smarter about this.

Blueberry, your love for Brian Roberts is clouding your take on this issue. What did Larry Bigbie "save himself" from? How did he "protect his own sorry butt?" What consequence would he have faced that he isn't facing now?

If Bigbie had played for another team, or had given the same information about a player you didn't like, I doubt your reaction would be so strong, and you'd be more focused on the fact that there was a serious chance that the player accused of cheating had, in fact, cheated.

As for me, I accepted long ago that Gibbons and Roberts might have taken steroids at one time. That's a huge mistake, and it tarnishes them somewhat. As with Gibbons, I'm willing to forgive Brian and move on. He has shown he's still a good player now that there is stricter testing, he'sa model citizen in the community, and he's a good teammate. And even though I couldn't care less about his dimples or his cute butt, those other reasons are enough for me to forgive him and contunue rooting for him (even if he gets traded).

On page 145 of the report, Mitchell states that Bigbie made statements in the presence of federal authorities after being advised that he could be prosecuted for false statements. On page 158 the report states that Bigbie was overheard on a federal wiretap in 2005 ordering human growth hormone and began cooperating with federal investigators after that.

I think its clear that Bigbie was under pressure and relayed alleged conversations to save himself. Maybe honest, probably understandable, but hardly "stand-up" behavior.

Archived