Some stuff

bigbird

• Replies 459
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think we should worry about the whole "Well who plays that for us next year?" thing when making these deals. We need to get the best players back that we possibly can. If we have to play next year with Luis Hernandez at short or Tike Redman in center because we got good young players for different positions, so be it. Next year is simply about getting younger and cheaper with a team that can improve in the future.

These deals seem to finally make sense to me. Some of the deals that people were expecting were just ridiculous. We were being laughed at on almost every other teams message board that I went to because of the offers that people wanted. I think that if we deal with LA we should def get Kemp instead of Kershaw. We really need alot of help with position players even though it will be tough to pass on a future possible ace. I don’t know alot about Either. What do you guys think of him? Also I think the Reds deal is now the last one I would take. I would almost rather keep Bedard then make that deal. Not only will they not give us Bruce, but they won’t give us Votto either. I would tell them to up the deal or look elsewhere. I am very disappointed with that because they are the deal I liked the most. I never thought they would give us Bailey, Votto and Hamilton like some people on here dreamed about, but I though maybe Bailey, Votto, and maybe someone like Stubbs. I guess right now I am pulling for us to trade with LA. Hu is going to be a good player I think and Kemp OR Kershaw (I think it will be Kershaw if we deal) would be the centerpiece. I have to find out more about Either now. Thanks BB. I love reading your posts.

Here is what a poster from the Dodgers board said about Ethier's glove:

he has a decent glove for a corner but is not a center fielder. he can't cover enough ground to play there.

A lot of people on here just assume Kemp can play center too. I've read a good amount of things that say he really is a corner outfielder as well, and can't really handle center defensively. So getting Kemp doesn't necessarily mean we have CF locked up for good.

Redman. :eek:

Has anyone watched, scouted, or does anyone know alot about Luke Scott, or, in the Dodgers deal Andre Ethier. Obviously the feeling around here is that neither can play center. Im not gonna lie, im completely stupid about both of these guys and I know nothing about either of them. Is there absoultely zero chance either could play CF?

Edit: While I was posting this, someone posted above about Ethier not being able to play center according to the Dodgers, sorry.

Also, I am not sure I understand where the optimism on Scott is comming from.

The FO expects him to be exceed 110 - 120 RBI/year????

He drops off big time against lefties and has almost no production from the 3 or 4 hole.

His numbers suggest Huff - with less defense. What are they basing this on?

Or do they want to look at him at 1B?

A lot of people on here just assume Kemp can play center too. I've read a good amount of things that say he really is a corner outfielder as well, and can't really handle center defensively. So getting Kemp doesn't necessarily mean we have CF locked up for good.

I have heard this as well. I think people just put him in CF because he has some speed.

I don't really think we should.. but not sure why you think there's no chance in hell? He played there some last season and I've heard other people talk about moving him there over the past few weeks.

Did he? I'm almost positive he played every game in RF last season. His rookie year he played some left and center early in the year before Gibbons went down, but I really don't remember him playing there last year. I just think Markakis will be in RF for good, and we shouldn't mess with him.

Another quote about Ethier:

Ethier is a solid defensive corner outfield. He doesn't have the range to be an everyday player out in CF, but he can play if needed.

His arm is not spectacular, but solid. His fundamentals are solid. I think he had quite a few assists from LF in 2006, and we all remember that throw he had against the Twins 2 years back.

Ethier is one of those players who doesn't look as impressive on the stat-line. But when you watch this guy swing and play, he's solid. He hit .330 from May to the end of August his rookie year, then kinda faded b/c of what he said was a shoulder injury. Kind of slumped last year, but I think he was getting around that phase where teams were adjusting to him.

He's a solid defender, though.

I don't really think we should.. but not sure why you think there's no chance in hell? He played there some last season and I've heard other people talk about moving him there over the past few weeks.

I saw Markakis play CF in Bowie. He made an outstanding catch on a ball during the game I saw him in and he seemed to get a pretty good jump on other balls hit into the gaps.

I think he could play CF if need be, but I think his arm is what will keep him in RF. We probably wouldn't lose a whole lot with Ethier out there, but Nick is a fantastic right fielder.

I'd take the Dodgers deal, especially if McDonald is the 4th piece. I didn't notice Hu on BB's deal there. We need a shortstop, and he's probably the best young SS available right now.

I have to be honest...I think the thing that disturbs me most about BB's post is that we might NOT trade Roberts now. If we were somehow able to get the Cubs to give us Pie and Gallagher, we'd be foolish not to do it. If this offer is on the table, and we don't take it, it would lead me to believe that big Pete is sticking his nose into things again.

What does the fact that this deal hasn't been made tell you?

Agreed. We need two of the three of Kemp, Laroche, and Kershaw. I look elsewhere if they don't agree to that. Honestly, I don't know why they wouldn't considering how deep their entire system is.

Because right now Laroche looks like their only major league 3rd baseman. I wonder if we could send the Dodgers Mora along with Bedard so as to make it easier for them to let Laroche go?

Archived