Os acquire Saunders.

gallden

Maybe you missed the Guthrie for Hammel + Lindstrom trade with the Rockies?

Maybe you missed all the news coverage and fan reaction at the time of the Guthrie for Hammel + Lindstron trade? No one was jumping up and down at the time, everyone was trying to convince themselves that it wasn't so bad.

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm very surprised to see the amount of people who disagree with this trade. Lindstrom was doing well, but he clearly wasn't an indispensable part of the bullpen's success. Starting pitching, however, really needs the support and structure of a veteran BOR starter.

I'm guessing part of the problem is that Saunders is something of an unknown quantity to most of us. I don't know how I feel about this, personally.

Saunders has consistently thrown 6/7 innings giving up 2/3 runs except for 3 starts this year. If you take out those 3 starts he has a 3.05 ERA. He'll probably do what Gonzo is doing for us now, although he may have 1 bad start where he goes Tommy Hunter on us. I'd take 5/6 quality starts with 1 bad one though...

You can't just take away starts. You can do that with every single pitcher in baseball.

You also have to factor in the NL. Although, with that said, Chase Field is a much better hitter's park than Camden Yards.

Maybe you missed all the news coverage and fan reaction at the time of the Guthrie for Hammel + Lindstron trade? No one was jumping up and down at the time, everyone was trying to convince themselves that it wasn't so bad.

You said clearly benefitted. There is no doubt we benefitted from that trade. Trades are rarely won the day they're made.

You said clearly benefitted. There is no doubt we benefitted from that trade. Trades are rarely won the day they're made.

I didn't say we didnt benefit. If you read my original post, I said I wish there was one trade where we could look at it at face value on day one and say, this was a smart trade. Some have worked out in the long run, but there hasn't been one that i felt good about when it was first made.

If Arrieta thrives in the bullpen then this move does not hurt. I am just not confident that he will.

I have never forgotten that Arrieta's pro debut was in the Arizona Fall League, and he was unscored upon as a reliever for the whole AFL campaign. I think he can be great in the bullpen.

And when Hammel comes back we have Hammel, Chen, Gonzo, Saunders, Tillman (or maybe Britton/Johnson). Those are 4 pretty reliable guys and Tillman is either lights out or he could struggle. Makes our rotation much deeper and steadier.

I'd much rather start Britton or Johnson than Saunders, who numbers aren't good in the NL. And anything that brings Arietta back to the bigs is a disappiontment. Not a good decision by the Orioles.

You can't just take away starts. You can do that with every single pitcher in baseball.

You also have to factor in the NL. Although, with that said, Chase Field is a much better hitter's park than Camden Yards.

I know. That's why I said he may go Tommy Hunter on us for 1 start, but his season suggests the other 5/6 starts he'll throw 6/7 inning allowing only 2/3 runs. I did take away starts, but only to show that he can blow up maybe once every 8 starts or so, but for the most part he's a very solid starter, and will help us.

Unless Saunders is strictly used for the pen, which he may, i'm not sure I like this deal. Lindstrom was fine, Saunders has some experience, but has been hit hard. I hope the O's arent looking to

move either Britton or Johnson out of the rotation. Both have been excellent in their last starts. Perhaps this is a money dump or a move to get some kind of security and depth in case of a

faltering pitcher or in case Hammel doesnt come back shining.I dont know that I like this deal. But then, I didnt like the Hammel deal either.

Well said, put Saunders in the BP and demote Arrieta when he reports from AZ.

Unless Saunders is strictly used for the pen, which he may, i'm not sure I like this deal. Lindstrom was fine, Saunders has some experience, but has been hit hard. I hope the O's arent looking to

move either Britton or Johnson out of the rotation. Both have been excellent in their last starts. Perhaps this is a money dump or a move to get some kind of security and depth in case of a

faltering pitcher or in case Hammel doesnt come back shining.I dont know that I like this deal. But then, I didnt like the Hammel deal either.

Rosters are expanding very soon and I think, maybe, Buck would like to keep Chen and Gonzo as fresh as possible. I think Buck and Duq think by adding another starter who is just as qualified, if not more then many of the other options in the rotation will keep things lively. I tend to think that Buck will keep running Johnson and Britton out there IF they keep performing well. Saunders has a bit more of a track record however and IMHO it is good to have the depth. Lindstrom did pretty well in his time here but I, personally do not think we will miss him down the stretch, especially with rosters expanding. Now, if we make the postseason could we miss Lindstrom? Perhaps, but I think that Arrieta will fill his role nicely. We don't know what we will get from Saunders but I think it is worth a shot, see what sticks.

Don't really care one way or the other but as of now I'm slightly in favor of the trade. Especially with rosters expanding, we're fine as far as bullpen depth goes and no one here really knows what the statuses of Hammel and Chen are. Maybe Buck plans on going to a 6-man rotation? Who knows? Saunders isn't anything special, but we're going to be awful glad to have him if Hammel has a set back or Tillman gets injured or Gonzo becomes ineffective. He's insurance, nothing more.

Archived