Os acquire Saunders.

gallden

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It doesn't seem like a very wise decision to take the strength of our team and make it weaker. Really...Joe Saunders is NOT good...his numbers in the AL West are very similar to those of Tommy Hunter.

Our pen is strong enough to take out a guy who rarely came into the game in crucial situations, and add a good back of the rotation guy. It's not like we traded Strop or O'Day or Ayala, who routinely pitch in tight games. Lindstrom always seemed a bit shaky as well. I'm thrilled with this trade tbh. Yes it takes away from our pen, but it doesn't take away one of our key guys, and adds a solid starter, Edith was a weakness.

Another way to look at it is how did Arizona make out? They're only getting five weeks of a reliever who was just behind Gregg on the little used reliever list. They're not going to pick up that 4 M option in the offseason and will have to pay to get out from the contract. This looks like a nice move.

Reminds me of when we got Jaret Wright from the Yankees - another mediocre at he's starter. "Anytime you can trade a reliever for a starter, you do it"

Wright hadnt had an ERA under 4.49 in 9 years. It's a little bit different bud.

Bingo! Bring up Arrieta and let him pitch out of the pen. We might just find out that Arrieta is a gem for us out there. As for Saunders, he's an upgrade over Hunter every five days and balances out the rotation a bit with two lefties now. I was never a hug Lindstrom fan overall although he has pitched quite effective at times.

By the way, there is a right-handed reliever in Bowie named Kyle Newby that might be worth a September look even though he's in AA and has never really pitch above. I like that guys split-change and think it would be effective as a different look from Strop and Johnson.

This is where I am at. I wasn't overly impressed with Lindstrom. Essentially it's now Guthrie and a PTBL for Hamel and Saunders.

Perspective, fellas.

Lindstrom was effective, true. But he's a reliever who we won with when he was on the DL. He is expensive heading into next season. He is replaceable especially with a guy like Arrieta in the interim.

That said, rosters expand in a week. Patton will start throwing early next week. We have bullpen options going forward.

Now, our rotation is interesting. Chen, Gonzalez, Tillman, Britton, Johnson. Any of these guys are question marks since the innings piling up for Chen and Gonzo, Tillman has been a surprise but not fully consistent, and Britton has really only had 3 good outings this year. That leaves Johnson. Is he for real?

Hammel throws on Monday, but will need some rehab starts. He is probably at least 1-2 weeks away.

So, it's save some cash, give us a viable back of the rotation guy for now and maybe next year, and gives us very solid insurance if one of Britton, Johnson, etc. struggle. Oh, and if Hammel isn't immediately ready.

Great trade? Depends who the PTBNL is. But otherwise I think it's a solid one.

It doesn't seem like a very wise decision to take the strength of our team and make it weaker. Really...Joe Saunders is NOT good...his numbers in the AL West are very similar to those of Tommy Hunter.

His ERA is almost 2 runs lower, his home run rate is half of Hunter's, his strikeout rate is higher, their walk rates are similar. Saunder's FIP is a lot lower than Hunter's, and his xFIP is a half a run lower. They're really not similar at all. Even talking career marks Saunders has ERA/FIP/xFIPs between half a run and a run lower than Hunter.

I don't really expect Saunders to pitch to a 4.22 in the AL East, but I have to think he'll be an improvement over Hunter.

His ERA is almost 2 runs lower, his home run rate is half of Hunter's, his strikeout rate is higher, their walk rates are similar. Saunder's FIP is a lot lower than Hunter's, and his xFIP is a half a run lower. They're really not similar at all. Even talking career marks Saunders has ERA/FIP/xFIPs between half a run and a run lower than Hunter.

I don't really expect Saunders to pitch to a 4.22 in the AL East, but I have to think he'll be an improvement over Hunter.

As you know, he's not replacing Hunter, he's replacing Johnson, I'd rather have Johnson. One positive, I'll assume that Saunders will be on the same leash as Britton and Johnson. Pitch well or you're out.

Archived