Os acquire Saunders.

gallden

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'd much rather start Britton or Johnson than Saunders, who numbers aren't good in the NL. And anything that brings Arietta back to the bigs is a disappiontment. Not a good decision by the Orioles.

I'd take Saunders. 90% of the time, he's a great 3/4 starter. Maybe he'll have 1 blowup start with us (3 of those raised his ERA by 1.5), but I'll take the good with the bad. He'll consistently keep us in games, which can sometimes be a problem for Tillman/Britton/Hunter.

I didn't say we didnt benefit. If you read my original post, I said I wish there was one trade where we could look at it at face value on day one and say, this was a smart trade. Some have worked out in the long run, but there hasn't been one that i felt good about when it was first made.

Have you considered that this may say more about you than it does about DD?

Don't really care one way or the other but as of now I'm slightly in favor of the trade. Especially with rosters expanding, we're fine as far as bullpen depth goes and no one here really knows what the statuses of Hammel and Chen are. Maybe Buck plans on going to a 6-man rotation? Who knows? Saunders isn't anything special, but we're going to be awful glad to have him if Hammel has a set back or Tillman gets injured or Gonzo becomes ineffective. He's insurance, nothing more.

This is pretty much how I feel too. I've liked, very much, the way Johnson has pitched as well as Britton lately. But this deal give us the option to pick and choose between the 3, depending on who is more effective. And again, Gonzo, who is mightily impressive could get gassed in Sept. same with Chen.

Depth.

Keep in mind that Saunders put up his mediocre numbers in the weakest hitting division in baseball. Now he's moving to the best hitting division in baseball. Very careless move for the sake of making a move.

The hitting in our division doesn't seem that fearsome to me. It didn't seem to faze Hammel or Chen much.

I wish there would be just one DD trade where it was clear the Orioles benefitted. It seems like every time we have to talk ourselves into believing that it's not horrible. Any time I hear we aquire anyone I get scared just waiting to find out what DD gave up. I would much rather have Lindstrom still in the pen and run out anyone but Hunter for the rotation spot.

To be fair, this is how trades should be. I mean there is a GM and team on the other side of every deal. They are looking to get as much value as they can as well.

I'm not enamored about getting Saunders. I wish the O's didn't. But I just find it kind of ridiculous that people are so upset about losing Lindstrom, a guy who hasn't pitched 40 innings this year. In terms of value, there's nothing wrong with this trade.

I'm not enamored about getting Saunders. I wish the O's didn't. But I just find it kind of ridiculous that people are so upset about losing Lindstrom, a guy who hasn't pitched 40 innings this year. In terms of value, there's nothing wrong with this trade.

This is pretty much how I feel.

Archived