Cubbies want Tejada???

Sports Guy

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not sure.

I like Hill. Hate Izturis. I'd actually insist that Izturis not be in the deal and we could just sign Alex Gonzalez.

Prior is the wildcard here. He could either be one of the best pitchers in the AL, or a guy who cna make 15 starts a year.

I like that trade a lot more than Santana and Aybar. In the end, I'd probably roll the dice and make the move, because Hill will likely be at least a #3 and Prior could be a #1 if he can ever stay healthy. A rotation next season of Bedard, Prior, Hill, Loewen, and Cabrera would be one of the most talented - if not effective - in baseball, and Bedard would be the grandfather of the rotation at 28 years old. You could then trade Benson for Ensberg or Burrell and have Penn in Norfolk or the bullpen to step in if/when Prior misses some time.

You like that trade more than Santana Aybar???? Are you nuts?

Santana 22-23 Years old top of the rotation guy. Aybar is a defensive beast showing good speed, contact, Possible leadoff hitter there, in the mold of Jose Reyes with a bit less pop.

You take that Angels deal in your sleep, at the mall, anywhere you can get it.

Straight up I would say this is an iffy trade to make. As part of a multi team deal, I would say this fits in very well. Throw in the Rangers and/or Angels and a lot of interesting things could happen. If the Orioles can land Hill or Ervin Santana, along with Tex and Izturis, things would be SWEET!

Tex more or less replaces Tejada's offensive production and fills hole at 1B.

Izturis is a defensive upgrade at SS and offensively is even or maybe an upgrade over Millar at 1B who's spot he would take in the lineup.

Santana or Hill are a quality ML ready SP that fills out the rotation.

I'm not sure.

I like Hill. Hate Izturis. I'd actually insist that Izturis not be in the deal and we could just sign Alex Gonzalez.

Prior is the wildcard here. He could either be one of the best pitchers in the AL, or a guy who cna make 15 starts a year.

I like that trade a lot more than Santana and Aybar. In the end, I'd probably roll the dice and make the move, because Hill will likely be at least a #3 and Prior could be a #1 if he can ever stay healthy. A rotation next season of Bedard, Prior, Hill, Loewen, and Cabrera would be one of the most talented - if not effective - in baseball, and Bedard would be the grandfather of the rotation at 28 years old. You could then trade Benson for Ensberg or Burrell and have Penn in Norfolk or the bullpen to step in if/when Prior misses some time.

Are any of Prior's injuries related to his pitching arm?

Did you guys see the hangout front page quoting an article talking about Hill, Prior and Izturis for Tejada????

Would you guys take that trade?

I'd think about it, but I'd probably decline. Prior is just too big a risk, and Hill, while he should be good, doesn't make up for that. Substitute Zambrano for Prior and Hill and we're definitely in business, but I doubt the Cubs do that.

Although Mackus's point about Prior and Hill in our rotation is an intriguing one. If we pick up these two guys we can deal for an Ensberg-type hitter while still having a little bit of depth (Rodrigo, Penn, Burres if we can keep him).

You like that trade more than Santana Aybar???? Are you nuts?

Santana 22-23 Years old top of the rotation guy. Aybar is a defensive beast showing good speed, contact, Possible leadoff hitter there, in the mold of Jose Reyes with a bit less pop.

You take that Angels deal in your sleep, at the mall, anywhere you can get it.

Comapring Aybar to Jose Reyes is silly. I don't know how someone who's making 32 errors in 135 games in 2005 and 22 in only 83 games this season a "defensive beast". Maybe the reports are he will be a plus defender, but he certainly isn't yet. And with OPS under .800 each of the last two seasons in the PCL (a hitters league) he's not going to be anything more than an average hitter.

And Santana is no sure thing to be a top of the rotation guy. His struggles away from anaheim really worry me (6+ ERA). I like him a lot, but him alone is not enough for Tejada, and Aybar really isn't that impressive to me.

It all comes down to Prior. We could get Hill and Prior, put them with Bedard, Loewen and DCab and then look to deal Benson and Penn and get a good young SS, like Aybar and a young first baseman.

So, we could always get these guys in other deals.

But again, how healthy is Prior?

What about Hill and Murton for Tejeda and Minor League Pitcher

then sign a SS like Lugo or A.Gonzalez

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/baltimore_orioles/index.html

2007 MLB Free Agents: Luis Gonzalez

When we last checked in with future free agent left fielder Luis Gonzalez, he'd been informed by the D'Backs that they didn't want him back.

Now, Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe has a few interested teams for us:

"Don't feel bad about Luis Gonzalez's Diamondbacks career being over. The Orioles, Tigers, Rangers, and Cubs are already considering him as a DH and/or left fielder for next year."

Word was that Gonzo wanted to stay in the NL, meaning a return to the Cubs might be at the top of the list. The problem? The Cubs already have a left fielder, and he's having a fine age 24 season.

Matt Murton: .294/.359/.438

Luis Gonzalez: .274/.356/.453

Given that Murton is improving and Gonzalez is on the decline, and that Gonzalez will make significantly more money, the signing wouldn't make much sense.

If the Cubs really are interested, that should mean one of two things.

1. They plan on using Murton in center field and letting Juan Pierre go (unlikely but not the worst idea in the world if Murton could somehow pull it off on defense).

2. They are considering trading Murton (possible).

If the Cubs want to make a major trade, say involving Miguel Tejada, Murton could be a coveted player.

It all comes down to Prior. We could get Hill and Prior, put them with Bedard, Loewen and DCab and then look to deal Benson and Penn and get a good young SS, like Aybar and a young first baseman.

So, we could always get these guys in other deals.

But again, how healthy is Prior?

I only due this trade if Prior is being immediately traded to Texas. They are so desperate for pitching they are more likely to take his health risk.

Archived