Cubbies want Tejada???

Sports Guy

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd love to get Murton. A Hill and Murton deal is something I'd look into, but might need just a bit more. If we could add something to Tejada and get Prior, Hill, and Murton (perhaps adding Liz), that would be a terrific trade, IMO.

What about Hill and Murton for Tejeda and Minor League Pitcher

then sign a SS like Lugo or A.Gonzalez

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/baltimore_orioles/index.html

2007 MLB Free Agents: Luis Gonzalez

When we last checked in with future free agent left fielder Luis Gonzalez, he'd been informed by the D'Backs that they didn't want him back.

Now, Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe has a few interested teams for us:

"Don't feel bad about Luis Gonzalez's Diamondbacks career being over. The Orioles, Tigers, Rangers, and Cubs are already considering him as a DH and/or left fielder for next year."

Word was that Gonzo wanted to stay in the NL, meaning a return to the Cubs might be at the top of the list. The problem? The Cubs already have a left fielder, and he's having a fine age 24 season.

Matt Murton: .294/.359/.438

Luis Gonzalez: .274/.356/.453

Given that Murton is improving and Gonzalez is on the decline, and that Gonzalez will make significantly more money, the signing wouldn't make much sense.

If the Cubs really are interested, that should mean one of two things.

1. They plan on using Murton in center field and letting Juan Pierre go (unlikely but not the worst idea in the world if Murton could somehow pull it off on defense).

2. They are considering trading Murton (possible).

If the Cubs want to make a major trade, say involving Miguel Tejada, Murton could be a coveted player.

I would like Murton or Gonzales in LF, but Murton fits the Orioles better at age 24.

The latest I can find on Prior from Will Carroll:

The Cubs are also talking about an opinion they received about Mark Prior’s shoulder. Two words have them wondering about Prior next season: Kerry Wood. A source tells me that the Cubs were told that Prior’s shoulder injury in 2006 is virtually identical to the one that Wood had at the end of 2005, we all know how that story ends.

Not so good.

I'd love to get Murton. A Hill and Murton deal is something I'd look into, but might need just a bit more. If we could add something to Tejada and get Prior, Hill, and Murton (perhaps adding Liz), that would be a terrific trade, IMO.

I was thinking with the difference in salary it would be tough to be anything more back (O's never seem willing to eat much)

FWIW, Jayson Stark was on Mike and Mike this morning and he said he doesn't think the Cubs match up with the Yanks and that AROD and Boras want things compensated for them if they waive the NTC, so he may not be going anywhere.

With that in mind.. I don't see how Tejada would be going that direction either... what do they have that we need? I understand they only have 3 minor leaguers in the top 100. I prefer the Angels options.. unless of course we can get a 3'rd team involved, then it could get interesting..

I was thinking with the difference in salary it would be tough to be anything more back (O's never seem willing to eat much)

For the most part, Tejada produces to his contract, it's kicking up a bit, but it's still not unreasonable for his production. There is no reason for the O's to throw in any money into the deal unless they are fleecing the other team of its best young players.

I probably should like Murton more than I do, his numbers were actually pretty good last year when it was all said and done, but I don't think either him or Hill have a high enough ceiling that they are worth the risk that neither could be successful for a guy who is still considered one of the best SS in the game.

Prove your point. He dominated in AAA, and was lights out in August and September in the ML's.

Dominated AAA at 25 and 26...whoopty doo!

His #'s in the majors aren't that good...7.5hits/9, 1.5hr/9, 3.5walks/9, 8.2K/9

So what happens when he passes the "hitters not used to him" tag? Not to mention putting him in the AL w/ DH & smaller parks.

His last 10 games....3 big games (2 against Cincy, 1 against Pitt) 2 good games (Mil, SF) the rest were average & bad.

Dominated AAA at 25 and 26...whoopty doo!

His #'s in the majors aren't that good...7.5hits/9, 1.5hr/9, 3.5walks/9, 8.2K/9

So what happens when he passes the "hitters not used to him" tag? Not to mention putting him in the AL w/ DH & smaller parks.

His last 10 games....3 big games (2 against Cincy, 1 against Pitt) 2 good games (Mil, SF) the rest were average & bad.

I think those numbers are good.. but not as part of a deal to trade Tejada for....

For the most part, Tejada produces to his contract, it's kicking up a bit, but it's still not unreasonable for his production. There is no reason for the O's to throw in any money into the deal unless they are fleecing the other team of its best young players.

I probably should like Murton more than I do, his numbers were actually pretty good last year when it was all said and done, but I don't think either him or Hill have a high enough ceiling that they are worth the risk that neither could be successful for a guy who is still considered one of the best SS in the game.

I wasn't suggesting eating salary, I just don't see the Cubs offering more then those two without money or more players. Also as I mentioned I really don't think Prior will stay off the DL long enough to help the O's.

Bedard, Hill, DCab, Loewen and Benson (Penn, Olson, ...hopefully soon, maybe both in the pen first) would be a young rotation that would be fun to watch. OF of Kakes, Patterson, and Murton would be young and pretty solid as well.

It all comes down to Prior. We could get Hill and Prior, put them with Bedard, Loewen and DCab and then look to deal Benson and Penn and get a good young SS, like Aybar and a young first baseman.

So, we could always get these guys in other deals.

But again, how healthy is Prior?

That's the big question. If he is, sure; if he isn't, no. Simple as that.

I would say keep Izturis and ask them to throw in a MiL arm.

Archived