Shohei Otani

paulcoates

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If we sign him as a player

14 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

What doesn't he do?  Throws 100 MPH+, mashes home runs and can run.   Just please don't let him end up on the Yankees or Red Sox.  

If we sign him as a player-manager or player-general manager, can we evade the limitations on his salary?

In other news...I'm guessing the Phillies aren't on his list either ;)

From a Q&A done with MLB.com back in February that has just surfaced this week:

MLB.com: What cities are you curious about and would like to see?

Ohtani: The Rocky Balboa statue, I want a picture of that.

MLB.com: Philadelphia has a baseball team, you know.

Ohtani: No, I just want to visit there

On 11/30/2017 at 6:49 PM, Moose Milligan said:

Ahhh, the OH faithful.  It never fails.  If there's an FA out there, there's a hope and a prayer.  It's akin to a dog hoping for table scraps.  There's just always a look of hope on their with a good dose of pleading mixed in.  

Remember when we were gonna get Teixeira?  Those were the good old days.

TBF, for every FA signing, there are 29 teams that didn't sign the guy, so more often than not, a FA isn't going to come to [insert team].

On 11/30/2017 at 6:54 PM, Moose Milligan said:

Oh yeah, because he grew up near Baltimore or something.  Or had family here, that was sure to make him want to come play here.

I remember when we were all in on Prince Fielder, too.

Maybe Otnai is close with Koji, who told him Baltimore was a good place to be ^_^

2 minutes ago, murph said:

Sorry, I have not read the whole thread, but does anyone know what the max amount is we can offer to Ohtani?   Probably not much, right?

The Orioles had 5.75 million originally. Spent 340,000 on 4 signees, traded the rest.

4 minutes ago, phillyOs119 said:

The Orioles had 5.75 million originally. Spent 340,000 on 4 signees, traded the rest.

Thought so, so we are effectively out if it anyway.  But, still agree with most that it would be foolish to at least not put your hat in the ring.   Thanks for the info Philly.  

23 minutes ago, murph said:

Thought so, so we are effectively out if it anyway.  But, still agree with most that it would be foolish to at least not put your hat in the ring.   Thanks for the info Philly.  

No problem, yeah the O’s are long shots.

My issue is/was that everyone know there was a good chance Ohtani comes over. The Orioles started with the largest pool and they had the least detrimental cost to saving the pool money for Ohtani (since they don’t spend it anyways).  Yet they didn’t have the foresight or desire to try and make a serious play for him. If they just didn’t trade any slots, they’d have about 2 million more than any other team could offer.

12 hours ago, phillyOs119 said:

12 hours ago, murph said:

Stupid question: since the major league minimum is significantly more than $160,000, doesn’t this effectively mean we couldn’t sign him even if he wanted to play here?

44 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Stupid question: since the major league minimum is significantly more than $160,000, doesn’t this effectively mean we couldn’t sign him even if he wanted to play here?

That is an interesting question.    My guess is it would be the minimum plus the 160k?   

Archived