Shohei Otani

paulcoates

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, mdbdotcom said:

Imagine the Padres or Giants landing Ohtani and trading for Stanton. That could be the quickest team makeover in history.

Padres would still stink. We don't even know if this guy can hold up over a full season. And the idea that he can hit in the majors could be a pipe dream. Teams know it, they are just playing along to get him.

23 minutes ago, interloper said:

Not sure I agree. 

Its a fair point and you are certainly entitled to express your opinion.  I think because the O's have no chance at Otani, your opinion has merit.  But I also think that as one of if not the most sought after FA, he does in fact stand to affect the entire market.  I wish the Orioles, while out of the Omani market, could swoop in and grab FA pitching before anyone else.  Unfortunately, I just dont think it works that way.

According to ESPN’s Buster Olney (Insider subscription required), at least three teams didn’t respond to the request made last week by Ohtani’s agent asking for each MLB club to pitch itself to the Japanese star via a seven-point written explanation.  It isn’t known which teams didn’t submit the information, though it’s probably safe to assume the Marlins were one, as they’re the only team known to have declined a pursuit of Ohtani’s services.  Unless a club had received some knowledge about Ohtani’s preferred destinations and knew not to bother, it doesn’t seem like there’s any reason why a team wouldn’t have at least tried to attract his attention.  As Olney put it in September, not even trying for Ohtani “would be the general manager’s version of failing to run out a ground ball.”

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2017/12/quick-hits-ohtani-rangers-yankees-erlin.html

Obviously it was too much work for some Orioles front office assistant to spend a couple of hours putting together a sales pitch.  Its really sad how poorly run this team is.  I'm not sure if the O's would have much of a chance, but if they just kept most of it instead of wasting it on waiver wire players, they would at least get some consideration.  Not trying is the #NewOriolesWay

Just now, OriolesMagic83 said:

According to ESPN’s Buster Olney (Insider subscription required), at least three teams didn’t respond to the request made last week by Ohtani’s agent asking for each MLB club to pitch itself to the Japanese star via a seven-point written explanation.  It isn’t known which teams didn’t submit the information, though it’s probably safe to assume the Marlins were one, as they’re the only team known to have declined a pursuit of Ohtani’s services.  Unless a club had received some knowledge about Ohtani’s preferred destinations and knew not to bother, it doesn’t seem like there’s any reason why a team wouldn’t have at least tried to attract his attention.  As Olney put it in September, not even trying for Ohtani “would be the general manager’s version of failing to run out a ground ball.”

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2017/12/quick-hits-ohtani-rangers-yankees-erlin.html

Obviously it was too much work for some Orioles front office assistant to spend a couple of hours putting together a sales pitch.  Its really sad how poorly run this team is.  I'm not sure if the O's would have much of a chance, but if they just kept most of it instead of wasting it on waiver wire players, they would at least get some consideration.  Not trying is the #NewOriolesWay

Saw this too and couldn't help wonder if the Os were one of the three teams. That would be embarrassing considering our need for pitching and the revelation that this guy wants to pitch for a "small market team".

4 minutes ago, TommyPickles said:

Saw this too and couldn't help wonder if the Os were one of the three teams. That would be embarrassing considering our need for pitching and the revelation that this guy wants to pitch for a "small market team".

I don't think ownership believes in the posting process.

Archived