Some O's tidbits from Keith Law's chat yesterday

ChaosLex

Here's the criteria:

1) JJ is 30, so the team would have to be fairly close to competing now

2) They'd have to have a fairly large hole at short

3) They need to match up with a hole on the Oriole roster

Who is that? Boston? Detroit, maybe? Arizona? I don't know...

Detroit has Peralta. Boston would just go out and get Stephen Drew.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What about keeping machado at 3rd and trading jj and a 3rd tier prospect for elvis andrus? He could probably be our leadoff man and would give us the opportunity to put markakis to the 2 hole. Andrus, Schoop, and Machado would be a good infield for a long time. Anyone think Texas would trade him with Profar waiting in the wings? Just a thought. Feel free to shoot me down.lol

What about keeping machado at 3rd and trading jj and a 3rd tier prospect for elvis andrus? He could probably be our leadoff man and would give us the opportunity to put markakis to the 2 hole. Andrus' date=' Schoop, and Machado would be a good infield for a long time. Anyone think Texas would trade him with Profar waiting in the wings? Just a thought. Feel free to shoot me down.lol[/quote']

And why would Texas do this?

What about keeping machado at 3rd and trading jj and a 3rd tier prospect for elvis andrus? He could probably be our leadoff man and would give us the opportunity to put markakis to the 2 hole. Andrus' date=' Schoop, and Machado would be a good infield for a long time. Anyone think Texas would trade him with Profar waiting in the wings? Just a thought. Feel free to shoot me down.lol[/quote']

They might trade him, but it won't be for another SS.

Isn't freeing up space for Profar the reason they'd consider trading Andrus? Trading for Hardy makes no sense in that case.

That's the big question. I was hoping someone else could figure that part out.lol. I'd trade an Arrietta or Britton with Hardy for Andrus. Maybe Texas thinking would be Andrus is blocking Profar in the long run and Hardy would be a better alternative for a year or two, in which case they would get a pitcher with good upside along with a Hardy in the present for a guy in Andrus who they would have to trade in a year or so. Just a thought, I obviously don't really see it happening though.

Would Hardy to the Cards be possible. Hardy for Freese and Cleto/kelly one of the pitchers mentioned by espn? I would keep Hardy. I just really like the defense and the pop he has. But would Freese/Machado be better than Machado/Hardy? It could be selling high on Hardy who has been very healthy these last two years compared to the two years before we got him. Plus we'd be saving 6 million this year. That would be the argument. I would only do it if we took that 6 mil a year and gave scutaro 2/12 and have Freese/Machado/Scutaro for the next two years at least. But that's a whole other can of worms. I love off season trade ideas.

Would Hardy to the Cards be possible. Hardy for Freese and Cleto/kelly one of the pitchers mentioned by espn? I would keep Hardy. I just really like the defense and the pop he has. But would Freese/Machado be better than Machado/Hardy? It could be selling high on Hardy who has been very healthy these last two years compared to the two years before we got him. Plus we'd be saving 6 million this year. That would be the argument. I would only do it if we took that 6 mil a year and gave scutaro 2/12 and have Freese/Machado/Scutaro for the next two years at least. But that's a whole other can of worms. I love off season trade ideas.

Why would the Cards trade Freese for Hardy?

Frobby, JJ Hardy historically has an up and down statistical career(usually because of injuries). The fact is, he is a below average hitter for average, with solid

power(20-25 HR) and a tremendous glove and arm.He didnt have a great offensive year last year, but I'd argue he was one of the four best players on the team especially with his glove. Keep them where they are. We need a second baseman and a better bench. If they re-sign Reynolds at a smaller deal, I would be

willing to say this team (with Nick and Reimold/ Mclouth(signing?)) is as solid or more so than 2012. Dont mess with success.

Repeat after me:

Hammel

Chen

Tillman

Gonzalez

Matusz

Johnson

Bundy

Arrieta

Gausman

Britton

Thats an awful lot of good arms.

Wada

I'm with you Roy!

Here's the criteria:

1) JJ is 30, so the team would have to be fairly close to competing now

2) They'd have to have a fairly large hole at short

3) They need to match up with a hole on the Oriole roster

Who is that? Boston? Detroit, maybe? Arizona? I don't know...

There are probably a few other teams on the list. Not sure SD is sold on E. Cabrera and they seem like they want to win now (and I'm not suggesting a Headley trade). Billy Beane is always interested in shaking things up. KC doesn't fit the typical "win now" profile and yet the GM may be feeling some pressure to step up to save his job.

Having said this, I think it is unlikely we deal Hardy and I'm ok with it.

Law has only 4 years of front office experience. If he were that good at evaluating talent and negotiating trades, wouldn't he have be rehired after getting fired by the Blue Jays? "Wanting to keep close to your family" is an euphism for no one will hire me. Let's move on from his "observations" and stay with Buck and DD's talent evaluations.

Every time I see WAR mentioned, I start twitching. It reminds me of last offseason when everyone tried to convince me Reynolds will be fine at 3B, despite how good he looked at 1B. Last year was just a fluke, etc. etc.

WAR has value, I don't question this but something you go with your gut.

I do agree that Manny looked great at 3B and Hardy looked great at SS, why ruin a good thing. At some point if our band aids on 2B don't work until Schoop gets here, we might have to do something. Until then, status quo works for me. And resign Reynolds. And resign McClouth!

Archived