Some O's tidbits from Keith Law's chat yesterday

ChaosLex

Law has only 4 years of front office experience. If he were that good at evaluating talent and negotiating trades, wouldn't he have be rehired after getting fired by the Blue Jays? "Wanting to keep close to your family" is an euphism for no one will hire me. Let's move on from his "observations" and stay with Buck and DD's talent evaluations.

So four years of front office experience is not credible to you. LOL.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I see no reason to move Jones off CF. Re-sign Saunders and McLouth. You could sign LaRoche if you view that as an upgrade to Reynolds. I do not. I think the continued development of Machado, Wieters, Davis as well as minor rebounds of Hardy (average) and Reynolds (power) will provide power. I can see signing Keppinger for 2B with Flaherty - a platoon type situation. I think you are in good shape.

I like our rotation of Hammel/Chen/Saunders/Tillman/M. Gonzalez with Dylan Bundy coming....Matusz and Hunter shifting to late bullpen situtations...Arrieta/Britton in reserve or on the trade block.

I don't think 2012 was an aberration..I think this team has depth and talent to compete.

Law has only 4 years of front office experience. If he were that good at evaluating talent and negotiating trades, wouldn't he have be rehired after getting fired by the Blue Jays? "Wanting to keep close to your family" is an euphism for no one will hire me. Let's move on from his "observations" and stay with Buck and DD's talent evaluations.

He was offered a front office job this past offseason, but turned it down.

I think we could theoretically eke out an extra win or so on paper by playing around with our infield alignment, flipping Hardy, etc., but I'm in no hurry to mess with something that's finally working and I will completely understand if the O's feel the same way.

I personally have no desire to tamper with the left side of our infield. Hardy has been a 7 WAR player over his two years here (3.5 WAR/yr), and Machado played at a 4.5 WAR/yr pace as a green rookie who had just turned 20 years old. The left side of the infield was virtually impregnable for the last two months, unlike anything I've seen since Brooks and Belanger were at their stations. I'm not changing anything about that. The fact that Hardy had a down year offensively and that Machado will one day be our SS doesn't change my opinion one iota.

People just love seeing if they can make a perfectly good thing even better. They just can't resist.

I agree, leave the SS and 3B alone.

We went over this in another thread but DD was out of the game for a decade, does that make him credible or was 2012 a total fluke? Stay tuned!

Anyone who thinks to trade Hardy or change his position has lost it. If my memory serves me right The Orioles won a World Series or two with a SS with not so much pop but a hell of a glove remember Mark (The Blade) Belanger? Could someone put both their stats up side by side?:thumbsup1:

He was offered a front office job this past offseason, but turned it down.

I don't recall anyone reporting about the offer from the Astros...other then Law.

I did find this

Law met with both new club president George Postolos and general manager Jeff Luhnow, but the team has yet to offer him a position, sources say.

http://mlbbuzz.yardbarker.com/blog/mlbbuzz/article/espns_law_on_the_move_again/9006985

Maybe he was offered a contract, maybe he wasn't.

I agree with everything but trading Hardy.

FINALLY someone within the baseball world sees that jones should go to left.

#SIGNVICTORINO!

People are buying WAY TOO HIGH on Gonzo's performance and Hammel's among other things.

What is your reason for not being so high on these two? And offer up more than then fact that Hammel only played half a season. Every time he came back, he picked up right where he left off.

I agree with everything but trading Hardy.

FINALLY someone within the baseball world sees that jones should go to left.

#SIGNVICTORINO!

People are buying WAY TOO HIGH on Gonzo's performance and Hammel's among other things.

Lots of people think Jones should be moved to left. We just recognize that it isn't going to happen, because he is a franchise player who has won two gold gloves and it is tough to ask a guy like that to change positions. Teams have an interest in keeping their stars happy.

How people feel about Gonzo and Hammel is academic, they are going to go into the season with rotation spots regardless.

What is your reason for not being so high on these two? And offer up more than then fact that Hammel only played half a season. Every time he came back, he picked up right where he left off.

Miguel Gonzalez was a 28 year old rookie that, prior to this season, had pitched a grand total of 5 inning above AA ball. In three seasons at AA level he had a 4.06 ERA and a WHIP of 1.309.

I think a little skepticism is in order.

Anyone know why he didn't start pitching in the minors until he was 21?

Archived