Some O's tidbits from Keith Law's chat yesterday

ChaosLex

They will get offensive improvement from SS /3B without changing personnel. Hardy is better than he showed last year, and Machado is going to get better with experience.

It's not like Reynolds had a career year with the stick either. He could very well have a bounce-back offensive season.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
They will get offensive improvement from SS /3B without changing personnel. Hardy is better than he showed last year, and Machado is going to get better with experience.

He isn't that much better. He had a 81 OPS+ last year, in eight seasons he has had five years with an OPS+ of under 100. He had two years at 75. Another year like 2012 is more in line with his career numbers then 2011.

He isn't that much better. He had a 81 OPS+ last year, in eight seasons he has had five years with an OPS+ of under 100. He had two years at 75. Another year like 2012 is more in line with his career numbers then 2011.

And not to be too pessimistic, as I think Machado is very likely to improve, and possibly by leaps and bounds. But Jason Heyward was a 20-year-old Colossus who has not matched that age-20 performance in the two following years. So no guarantees.

And not to be too pessimistic, as I think Machado is very likely to improve, and possibly by leaps and bounds. But Jason Heyward was a 20-year-old Colossus who has not matched that age-20 performance in the two following years. So no guarantees.

There were some extenuating circumstances with Heyward but I could see him as a worse case scenario.

While I agree there are no guarantees, I would say that doing anything with the left side of our infield would be a waste of resources. We have much bigger issues elsewhere, and I still feel the left side of our infield is a strength, not a weakness.

Pretty much agree with all of Law's points here.

Yep, except for Jones. I've contended all along that he should be moved to RF to take advantage of his arm which is better than Nick's. You could then put McLouth in CF who is better than our current GG CFer and move Nick to LF.

Yep, except for Jones. I've contended all along that he should be moved to RF to take advantage of his arm which is better than Nick's. You could then put McLouth in CF who is better than our current GG CFer and move Nick to LF.

Yeah, absoloutely. RF makes more sense for Jones. I don't think Mclouth is an answer for CF though. His arm is way to weak.

I don't share your optimism. Machado is going to get better eventually, but I doubt he's any better next year than pro rating his 2012 performance. And I don't expect improvement from Hardy at his age.

You don't think Jone's arm is better than Nick's? It's unquestionably stronger imo. Accuracy may be another issue I guess.

Heck, Chris Davis has a better arm than Nick. Markakis has gotten slower and his arm strength has decreased. He's still accurate, but he can't peg it in there like Adam and Chris.

Archived