Mariners announce they've acquired Robert Andino

Greg

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So, does this also mean the end of Reimold too? I only ask, because I think he and Robinson are out of options. If McLouth is resigned, does that mean Robinson is the 4th OFer, and Reimold guaranteed to be a DH? If McLouth goes, does that mean Reimold in LF and Robinson the 4th OF? If both are kept, that seems to indicate the O's are going to depend on Reimold a lot, and i'm not sure I like that idea. Am I reading too much into this?

Dan Duquette - "Robinson has good speed and plays good defense in the outfielder, particularly in left field, and he has some pop in his bat. He's capable of stealing bases. He gives us another option in the outfield. And we had some surplus in the infield with some capable infielders. When we claimed Casilla, we just had some surplus there. The trade of an infielder allowed us to address a need we had in the outfield. This kid's got good speed and some power. If he can make a little bit more consistent contact in the big leagues, he's got a chance to establish himself as a solid player. He'll have a chance to make the team in the spring. He gives us another outfielder. We needed another one with Chavez and McLouth gone. The pickup of Casilla allowed us to trade an infielder to address a need."

I think this might be another example of DD acquiring talent he's not worried about dropping later. In no way do I think this acquisition effects future moves. It's just emergency depth. Getting something instead of nothing.

I'd guess Traayvon likey ends up similar to the Jai Miller acquisition last year.

My thoughts exactly

So, does this also mean the end of Reimold too? I only ask, because I think he and Robinson are out of options. If McLouth is resigned, does that mean Robinson is the 4th OFer, and Reimold guaranteed to be a DH? If McLouth goes, does that mean Reimold in LF and Robinson the 4th OF? If both are kept, that seems to indicate the O's are going to depend on Reimold a lot, and i'm not sure I like that idea. Am I reading too much into this?

There's no earthly way that the O's would keep Robinson over Reimold if they had room for only one. Robinson is a nice guy to have as depth, but if Reimold is healthy, the O's will have no qualms about jettisoning Robinson.

I think that he is our Nate McLouth replacement myself.

I know you're just speculating, but if this is the case then I hate this move.

In a vacuum, though, it is what it is. I liked Andino a whole lot but he was about about to get expensive for what he is and Robinson does, I guess, have some upside.

Who cares if he clears waivers? He's the guy we got for Robert Andino who was about to be non-tendered.

The only way we'll see this guy on the roster is if the offseason goes completely south and we have a number of injuries.

DD seemed pretty high on having him as depth. He can't be depth, if he's not in the organization. That's why I questioned if there;s more to it. If not, like you said, no big deal.

For ST games? He's out of options, and I doubt he'd clear waivers.

Then he doesn't clear waivers. We got him for nothing to begin with, Andino wasn't being tendered a contract, and it's not like he the next coming. He's a 25 year old who put up one good AAA season in Albuquerque (roughly the equivalent of hitting with an aluminum bat on the moon) two seasons ago. I like his tools but he's unlikely to ever be much more than a 4th outfielder with lite power and decent speed.

And, truthfully, I wouldn't be terribly upset about losing Reimold to waivers either. He's 29 and shown no ability to stay healthy. Again a nice 4th outfielder, but, at this point, his prime years are nearly done and he shouldn't fall into the Orioles long term planning. There's any number of cheap replacements available who can fill a similar role.

Archived