Mariners announce they've acquired Robert Andino

Greg

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply
These types of responses to small moves always seem designed to piss me off. Not every move has to be a blockbuster. Who was saying WOW!! when we signed Nate McLouth to a minor league deal? Or added Darren O'Day to the bullpen? Both turned out to be huge moves. Now, I don't think that acquiring Robinson will turn out to be so important. But you need a pinch runner on your bench if you're going to have Wieters, Hardy, and possibly Reynolds on your roster. You need a defensive replacement for the late innings if Reimold is your starting LF'er. This is a solid, though certainly not major move. And, it's much better than just designating Andino for assignment and losing him for nothing.

Over-react much?

Robinson seems to be a switch hitter, with speed (169 minor league steals) and defense anywhere in the outfield. Fourth outfielder, late inning pinch runner and defensive replacement if Reimold or Davis end up in LF. With the addition of Cassilla, I'm not surprised by this move. And, I'm also satisfied with it.

This is the correct answer.

These types of responses to small moves always seem designed to piss me off. Not every move has to be a blockbuster. Who was saying WOW!! when we signed Nate McLouth to a minor league deal? Or added Darren O'Day to the bullpen? Both turned out to be huge moves. Now, I don't think that acquiring Robinson will turn out to be so important. But you need a pinch runner on your bench if you're going to have Wieters, Hardy, and possibly Reynolds on your roster. You need a defensive replacement for the late innings if Reimold is your starting LF'er. This is a solid, though certainly not major move. And, it's much better than just designating Andino for assignment and losing him for nothing.

After reading a bit more about him, I'd like to revise my first thoughts on Robinson.

That being said...try the decaf, man! ;):D

I like this trade, I am not an Andino guy at all. I was making a joke that Andino is out of the AL East now.

Wow. Calm down. He was being serious. Dino is a notorious Red Sox killer. The fans in Boston are actually happy to see him go.

Doesn't look like he hits major league pitching but .... slugged .552 in 408 plate appearances in AAA in 2011. PCL I believe.

Albuquerque is kind of like a minor league version of Coors Field before the humidor. The 2011 Isotopes scored nearly six runs a game, had a team OPS of .839, and finished 70-74. Robinson was 5th or 6th on the team (min 100 PAs) in OPS, although he did outhit Jay Gibbons.

Archived