Mariners announce they've acquired Robert Andino

Greg

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm surprised that we're letting McLouth walk...although I'm guessing that's not written in stone.

I was wondering if that was really the case. I guess if could give us more leverage/protection in a negotiation with Nate, so that we're not tempted to overpay. If so, that's a good thing. But I certainly hope they're not taking Nate off the table. I think he was more important to this team than many people think.

Definitely not. He's seeing what people are offering on the FA market. O's are still trying to sign him from everything I'm reading.

I'm reading that BJ Upton and Bourne are probably looking at deals in excess of 5/75. That could bode well for Mclouth in what looks like a soft year for FA's.

For ST games? He's out of options, and I doubt he'd clear waivers.

I have little doubt he'd clear waivers. He was just traded for Robert Andino, who probably wasn't going to be tendered a contract. He's coming off a year where he OPS'd in the low .700s in the PCL. He's really only hit for a year in AA and at 6000-ft Albuquerque. His major league record, admittedly in 300 PAs, is terrible. He's a warm body who can play a little defense a pinch run, and maybe they can tweak his swing mechanics enough so that he's a non-terrible option as a 5th outfielder.

I have little doubt he'd clear waivers. He was just traded for Robert Andino, who probably wasn't going to be tendered a contract. He's coming off a year where he OPS'd in the low .700s in the PCL. He's really only hit for a year in AA and at 6000-ft Albuquerque. His major league record, admittedly in 300 PAs, is terrible. He's a warm body who can play a little defense a pinch run, and maybe they can tweak his swing mechanics enough so that he's a non-terrible option as a 5th outfielder.

Basically, he's competition for Avery and Hoes, and right now he might be a little behind them. He has more experience but is a couple of years older.

He also hit well in 2009. He came from Crenshaw High in LA which is not exactly a fertile development program. My guess is that he was exceptionally raw coming out of high school. Hitting well in 2009-2011 even with stadium/league effects is nothing to sneeze at. He has a 70 point delta between avg and OBP, does league effect have something to do with that? He hit in the league he was in, sure I would feel better if he had AAA success in the IL rather than the PCL but what are you gonna do? He made the All-Star team every year from 2009 to 2011 and if he hits like he did then in Spring Training he will make the team if not, maybe he won't be claimed.

They dumped a worthless Andino for a kid they can evaluate during the spring. He's likely not going to make the team and will be lost. In the end they saved the money. Sounds good to me.

And that is the main goal, to "save money".

Good job O's.

Do the O's have some new found depth at 2nd base that I am unaware of making Andino "worthless" to us?

Archived