Orioles have inquired about Stanton

Roll Tide

I know exactly what Stanton is- a young star who's already had knee problems that's a year away from setting new arbitration records. Not worth 12 years of Bundy and Gausman, IMO.

One of them? Sure. Both? Lol, no.

You just don't like him because you can't fit him into one of your platoons!

:P

I mentioned in one of the other Stanton threads that I would be hesitant to trade the farm for a 250 pound 23 year old that is already missing games with knee surgeries.

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You just don't like him because you can't fit him into one of your platoons!

:P

I mentioned in one of the other Stanton threads that I would be hesitant to trade the farm for a 250 pound 23 year old that is already missing games with knee surgeries.

Give me platoons or give me death!

Lol, not really. As I've stated multiple times, I just think it's our best move right now based on what has been available and the fact that we already have Betemit on the roster at a very reasonable price. If we didn't, I wouldn't necessarily be in favor of creating one just because "PLATOONS, that's why!"

Stanton's knee problems don't scare me that much, but I think it's still something to be mindful of when crafting purely hypothetical trade packages on an internet fan forum. Also, in real life maybe.

Give me platoons or give me death!

Lol, not really. As I've stated multiple times, I just think it's our best move right now based on what has been available and the fact that we already have Betemit on the roster at a very reasonable price. If we didn't, I wouldn't necessarily be in favor of creating one just because "PLATOONS, that's why!"

Stanton's knee problems don't scare me that much, but I think it's still something to be mindful of when crafting purely hypothetical trade packages on an internet fan forum. Also, in real life maybe.

Oh I would trade for him I just wouldn't grossly overpay for him which is what it would take to get him right now. If you have to put that bat at First or DH you lose value.

Why would the Marlins trade him? He makes next to nothing and is a star. You would have to have quite the farm system to trade for him. I mean at least two sure thing top prospects plus some other guys. The orioles don't have a deep system. And also since he doesn't make much money every team in baseball wants him.

Why would the Marlins trade him? He makes next to nothing and is a star. You would have to have quite the farm system to trade for him. I mean at least two sure thing top prospects plus some other guys. The orioles don't have a deep system. And also since he doesn't make much money every team in baseball wants him.

The hope that people are hanging onto is that he is unhappy and that they for some reason care.

Being a baseball rumormonger is a difficult job to do well. First, you spend years building a network of sources who can and will tell you interesting things about baseball teams. Even after you’ve collected your contacts, be prepared to put in long hours and work weekends to stay ahead of the story or be the first to break it. Don’t expect to sleep or be seen without a cell phone.

However, the job has its perks: attract a large enough following, and you can create your own stories. Slow news day? Pick a highly coveted player whom it might make some sort of sense for a team to trade. Ask an executive who works for that team if there’s any chance that said player might be moved. If the executive says the player won’t be traded under any circumstances, you have a story, or what passes for a story in the MLBTR/Twitter era. If the executive allows even the slightest sliver of a possibility that the player might be available, you have a story that lives a long time and begets a long line of other stories, like something straight out of the Old Testament. What is he worth, and what might it take to trade for him? Which teams might match up? Will the team still be willing to trade him tomorrow, and the day after tomorrow? What about the day after that?

That sums up how I've felt for the past 5-6 years. Thanks to the internet, you can create trade rumors out of thin air no matter who is involved.

Great article.

Looks like the Pads are kicking the tires...

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/mlb/5434/giancarlo-stanton

Latest NewsRecent NewsBill Center of the San Diego Union-Tribune reports that the Padres are one of many teams that the Marlins have spoken to regarding slugger Giancarlo Stanton.But there haven't been detailed discussions between the two sides, and Stanton still seems incredibly unlikely to be traded. The Marlins have checked on the availability of Padres infield prospect Jedd Gyorko in the past, and Center speculates that it would take at least Gyorko and two other top prospects with several years of team control to make a deal work. Jan 5 - 7:45 PMSource: San Diego Union-Tribune

Since several people have suggested it, and you're certainly a bit of an expert in these matters, can we get your opinion on the idea of trading both Bundy and Gausman for Stanton? Thanks!

Gausman is not eligible to be traded until July 15th. He will not be a PTBNL bubble boy until then. You can dream, but it doesn't change the reality of it.

Everyone just needs to be patient. Next winter when they see what he gets in his first year of arbitration eligibility, they won't be able to trade him fast enough.

This is very true. This is not about the Marlins getting a good deal. It is about them spending no money.

From Rotoworld

Clark Spencer of the Miami Herald reports that the Marlins "are not moving" Giancarlo Stanton and haven't even "discussed" it internally.

Spencer was also told that details of the Marlins' recent discussions with the Padres about Stanton were "completely off base" and "totally ridiculous." He writes that while the Marlins have listened to team's inquiries on Stanton "out of professional courtesy," they are "not entertaining any thoughts" of trading him. A deal involving the cost-controlled superstar always seemed like a huge longshot, and this report should hopefully put all the rumors to rest.

Source: Miami Herald Jan 6 - 12:55 PM

Think this puts the issue to bed for now.

Archived