Orioles have inquired about Stanton

Roll Tide

The Marlins would command a position player like Machado in return. Thinking Reimold would get it done as the best position prospect in that deal is a joke.

There isn't a match here. Miami would command two upper-tier prospects. The only combination that would work would be Bundy and Machado + a B prospect, but the Orioles would never do that (for good reason). Bundy/Schoop wouldn't work and Gausman + whomever wouldn't either.

That being said, the Marlins aren't dealing Stanton. No matter how terrible that franchise is, they're not shipping the best young power hitter in the game with 4 years of cost control just because he wants it.

If the Marlins don't think they can negotiate an extension with Stanton, that is probably the best opportunity to trade him. Having said that, I think they'll likely wait another year to do it.

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think Cabrera had a bit more of a pedigree at that time as well. Right?

Cabrera was already in his arbitration years and his defense had already deteriorated when the Marlins traded him. There was no questioning the bat, but it seemed like he was only equipped to be a DH or a minus 1B.

If the marlins call and ask for wieters and one of our pitchers id do it without skipping a breath

The Orioles would just be filling one hole and opening up another one. Catchers like Matt are so rare and even though some think he is very average offensively I suppose I would look around the league to see what offensive catchers are better than Matt. Take a complete picture of his ability and know that without Matt the Orioles do not win 90+ game last season.

The Orioles need more pitching and they need more offense, but trading one All Star for another makes little sense to me since the Orioles can find a decent bat right now, but they would be hard pressed to find a good catcher. Also, what pitcher are we giving up and why would Matt make more sense to the Marlins than Stanton at this point. Matt is going to be get 6/$100M+ deal somewhere and I think we are going to be shocked by home much he gets.

If the Marlins don't think they can negotiate an extension with Stanton, that is probably the best opportunity to trade him. Having said that, I think they'll likely wait another year to do it.

He is under control for another 5+ years. They have all the leverage here which is why they would want a boatload back for him. Our boat is only have full

The Marlins have no reason to trade Stanton until he costs more. So they won't. And if they do, we won't get him. And one of our division rivals might. So I hope I'm right in the former. And wrong in the later.

Not true. Their reason to move him is because he's disgruntled. Granted, that's not something as substantial as salary concerns, but it's enough to crack the window open and peak my interest. And why are you so convinced that we won't get him? In terms of prospects, I would think Bundy is a better starting point than the Yankees, Red Sox, or Blue Jays have at this point.

You build the farm system with both depth and talent like they do in Boston, Tampa, NY and Toronto. Then you go make these moves. We don't have the depth to make this trade right now. It sucks but accept it and stick to the plan. If we do not we will never be a consistent contender and there is no reason we cannot be if we stick to the plan.

I disagree. I think teh emergence of Gausman allows us to entertain trading Bundy IF we can land a young offensive stud like Stanton.

Not sure 15 innings in the minors and a good showing in instructionals constitutes an emergence.

What would bring you to certitude? ;)

Yah - the more pitching the better and two "studs" don't wind up in our pasture too often and even when they do - see Matusz, Brian, Riley, Matt, etc.

Archived