Orioles have inquired about Stanton

Roll Tide

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They need more than one player and Stanton will be pitched around with their lineup. It doesn't make sense to keep him when they need help in so many areas. If he's pitched around his numbers will fall and he will not have the same trade value. He should give them at least three or four players that can contribute right away for them. They can always trade for a hitter or sign a free agent. They reduced their payroll dramatically so it's up to the owners how they want to rebuild their team.

They need more than one player and Stanton will be pitched around with their lineup. It doesn't make sense to keep him when they need help in so many areas. If he's pitched around his numbers will fall and he will not have the same trade value. He should give them at least three or four players that can contribute right away for them. They can always trade for a hitter or sign a free agent. They reduced their payroll dramatically so it's up to the owners how they want to rebuild their team.

I assume you think that the Marlins are operating as a legitimate franchise. I don't. I think money is all it's about. I think he'll sell the franchise before he sells Stanton.

It's not happening. Stick to the plan and build farm system.

Then what? I'm trying to remember the last time the Orioles traded a frontline prospect (or group of them) for a player who could help right away. The Glenn Davis trade was over 20 years ago. Have the Orioles traded a blue-chip prospect since then? Are we confident they remember how it's done?

You build the farm system with both depth and talent like they do in Boston, Tampa, NY and Toronto. Then you go make these moves. We don't have the depth to make this trade right now. It sucks but accept it and stick to the plan. If we do not we will never be a consistent contender and there is no reason we cannot be if we stick to the plan.

You build the farm system with both depth and talent like they do in Boston, Tampa, NY and Toronto. Then you go make these moves. We don't have the depth to make this trade right now. It sucks but accept it and stick to the plan. If we do not we will never be a consistent contender and there is no reason we cannot be if we stick to the plan.

The same minor league depth and talent plan we've had for the last 15+ years...

The same minor league depth and talent plan we've had for the last 15+ years...

I knew you would say that. If I recall we have developed a lot of players over last 5 years that currently are on roster. Our farm system has improved but we still lacked Internationally and DD has made that a focal point. We have talent in farm system but still lack depth needed to pull off big trades. Plus, you don't trade a future Ace for a bat even if it is Stanton.

Unfortunately we don't have a 40 HR and 100 RBI guy in the system and haven't since Eddie Murray. We have been drafting pitching forever it seems and can afford to trade some very good young pitchers along with some infield and outfield prospects. Stanton is a superstar and we need him. Period! The Marlins will trade him sooner or later. I hope it's sooner. Theres a lot of negative thinking on here considering how many astute followers we have on the OH. Do you think the Toronto fans thought they had a chance to land Reyes, Buehrle and Johnson? I know Stanton will not be a salary dump like the others were. He will be a player that nets them a return that allows them to become competitive a lot faster than if they hold on to him.

Unfortunately we don't have a 40 HR and 100 RBI guy in the system and haven't since Eddie Murray. We have been drafting pitching forever it seems and can afford to trade some very good young pitchers along with some infield and outfield prospects. Stanton is a superstar and we need him. Period! The Marlins will trade him sooner or later. I hope it's sooner. Theres a lot of negative thinking on here considering how many astute followers we have on the OH. Do you think the Toronto fans thought they had a chance to land Reyes, Buehrle and Johnson?

Well Eddie Murray is once in a couple decades. We were awful at developing talent till AM came. One of the worst if not the worst. You don't turnaround 30 years of poor drafting and development overnight. Takes time and a commitment and we are starting to see that payoff. DD has done an amazing job in his first year and I am so excited about the future. However, my future includes Bundy, Gausman, Machado and Schoop. You want to trade all of them for Stanton and it would take all of them to land him. You get Stanton but now setback farm system once again. There is a difference between negative and being real.

Bundy, Schoop, whatever else it took. Would not include Machado at all. I'd let Miami pillage our pathetic system dry, I don't care what it takes. Everyone can go.

Absolutely. Take Machado off the table and tell the Marlins to have at it with any of our prospects and or the "calvary" .

Absolutely. Take Machado off the table and tell the Marlins to have at it with any of our prospects and or the "calvary" .

Yup. And take back whatever salary they'd like to dump, too.

IMO, this HAS to happen. This puts a huge, young bat in our lineup...this transforms the look of our lineup and, really, the future of the franchise. With Stanton, Machado, Wieters and Jones...things are that much more brighter.

I knew you would say that. If I recall we have developed a lot of players over last 5 years that currently are on roster. Our farm system has improved but we still lacked Internationally and DD has made that a focal point. We have talent in farm system but still lack depth needed to pull off big trades. Plus, you don't trade a future Ace for a bat even if it is Stanton.

There's a lot of things you don't do. One of them is confuse a 93-win team with a 69-win team, even if that 93-win team was an overachiever. A new paradigm was established last year and it ought to be recognized. Another thing you don't do is confuse Matusz, Arrieta, Britton, Reimold etc. as being "developed" unless you want to be charitable to the Orioles organization. Machado probably, Wieters maybe (definitely on defense). The main thing you don't do is slavishly adopt absolute and arbitrary rules especially when it comes to pitching prospects. In the last 20 years, Paul Wilson, Kris Benson, Matt Anderson, Bryan Bullington, and Luke Hochevar have all been first overall picks.

I agree that right now the Orioles' farm system is weaker than most of the other organizations', but since when is that an excuse to ignore an opportunity if it presents itself? If the Marlins have made it known that they're willing to trade Stanton, we need to find out if they're serious and if so go through the long process of finding out what it actually would cost to acquire him. Not make up fictitious, outlandishly one-sided trade demands to support a particular point of view as some people in this thread have started to do.

Archived